Vienna malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
I've seen people in here that say that vienna malt is just amazing, FTW and all stuff.
I wanted to know why? which flavours it gives?

I bottled today my blonde ale with was 60% vienna and 40% pilsner malt and I took a sip of it.
It had a noticable taste - something for me it was just like MALT taste.
Very very malty, I cannot really describe it any other way.
Is it the vienna that everyone talks about?

It tasted for me something like common wheat beers are, wheihnstephen (you spell it right) had a similar strong taste which is something close to my blonde (in my opinion).

what do you think?

Vienna gives it a somewhat toasty flavor, I have been doing some Vienna SMaSHs the last few brews

I have really enjoyed the taste, I like to put some Vienna and Munich in my Pale Ales

all the best

S_M

I use Vienna in my pale ales, brown ales and amber ales. It adds a nice complexity of malt backbone that you can't get with pale 2-row but the malt is not as overpowering as other malts like Munich, Victory, etc. 60% Vienna malt in a recipe means you are aiming for a malt forward beer. I just brewed a "Vienna Lager" which is only 50% Vienna malt and it will be very malt forward. So what you described sounds right.

Back