Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has D3 really gotten any better with the last few patches?
I was a huge D2 player but was really disappointed with the D3 launch; only played for a little while and am still a little sick over it.

It literally became a different game when Reaper of Souls came out, and it has been tweaked constantly and had more content added on a regular basis ever since.

It was an awful game when it was first released. It is now arguably one of the best action-RPGs of all time (IMO, of course). The combat is simply.... sublime. Some games are better in other areas (example: skill trees in path of exile) but as far as making a complete bloody mess of monsters goes, it's just top-notch.

Dear god where do you find the time?

I play most nights after the house is asleep until I do something stupid and still I am just barely to level 26. Although, I have explored a LOT of the map. I just haven't been focused on questlines.

Well my wife usually goes to bed around 5pm. And I don't go to bed till 8:30-9:00. So thats where most of my time is.

Now that I have a second job my time to play is only on the weekends if I am lucky. And since the busy season is one weekend away... This weekend will be the last I play for a while.

Dear god where do you find the time?

I play most nights after the house is asleep until I do something stupid and still I am just barely to level 26. Although, I have explored a LOT of the map. I just haven't been focused on questlines.

I only play a handful of hours a week and am at level 44 on very hard... also not finished the main questline yet. I've been focusing on my clear-cutting approach to the game: railroad is wiped out. Diamond City is wiped out. The institute is wiped out. Covenant is wiped out. Once I'm done with the BoS questline... yup, you guessed it, they're getting wiped out.

I'm debating what to do with Goodneighbour as it's a good trading place.

Once it's all done I'll be starting a new game with a ton of mods/cheats and go HAM

Has D3 really gotten any better with the last few patches?
I was a huge D2 player but was really disappointed with the D3 launch; only played for a little while and am still a little sick over it.

Well, I played D1 religiously with friends in high school. When D2 came out, I sadly did not have a computer so I never ended up with that "D2 is the end all" stick up my ass everyone else got ;) If you only played D3 at launch, it is a completely different monster now. Granted, it doesn't compare to how raw the old games were; it is still the beautiful, stylized, Blizzard game it was at release. So, I'm not sure. A few patches ago, they made some huge changes that made it infinitely more exciting. Goblins chance to open treasure realms. Kunais cube. New maps. Now theres set dungeons. My only complaint now is that I've played it for so long and don't have anyone to play it with.

I only play a handful of hours a week and am at level 44 on very hard... also not finished the main questline yet. I've been focusing on my clear-cutting approach to the game: railroad is wiped out. Diamond City is wiped out. The institute is wiped out. Covenant is wiped out. Once I'm done with the BoS questline... yup, you guessed it, they're getting wiped out.

I'm debating what to do with Goodneighbour as it's a good trading place.

Once it's all done I'll be starting a new game with a ton of mods/cheats and go HAM

How far on the quest line are you? Just curious as I know there is need to go back to some areas after certain points and talk to people.

How far on the quest line are you? Just curious as I know there is need to go back to some areas after certain points and talk to people.

For BoS... I just stole that reactor thingy from the institute to power up the mega-robot thingy. "Spoils of War" it's called apparently.

Well, I played D1 religiously with friends in high school. When D2 came out, I sadly did not have a computer so I never ended up with that "D2 is the end all" stick up my ass everyone else got ;) If you only played D3 at launch, it is a completely different monster now. Granted, it doesn't compare to how raw the old games were; it is still the beautiful, stylized, Blizzard game it was at release. So, I'm not sure. A few patches ago, they made some huge changes that made it infinitely more exciting. Goblins chance to open treasure realms. Kunais cube. New maps. Now theres set dungeons. My only complaint now is that I've played it for so long and don't have anyone to play it with.

I still play on occasion. Revilo#1168

I still play on occasion. Revilo#1168

Baaah. I'm on PS4 when I play. My PC is in limbo right now with a broken fan. Unfortunately, when I open up my computer to attempt to repair it, all I see is wires and flashing lights. Deal with that crap all day at work, don't want to touch it when I get home.

CYtzO9ZW8AE46uc.png

Jsyk BO3 dudes.

^Gonna be too busy starting the new season in Diablo 3! Dribbles#1490

.... I also didn't buy BO3

Gah. Wish I could get in on seaons.. though it would probably be detrimental to my health :D What class you going to rock in S5?

Debating. Probably another Crusader or Demon Hunter. They're what a normally play... I have at least 2 or 3 of each haha. I love my main DH - pretty much full ancient U6 and M6 gear; he's a beast.

I like Crusaders because Shield Cross is fun, and horsies! YAY! (...nay? whatever)

Though who knows, maybe I'll make a Wizard this time

Though who knows, maybe I'll make a Wizard this time

I think the most brutal one I had was a witch doctor, don't remember the set.. but you'd put pestilence/haunt on groups and then melt the entire screen in one hit of soul harvest. Doing that with boon of the hoarder used to just make the screen explode with gold, was awesome.

The highest survivability I've had was the dashing strike monk. Constantly teleporting through things to kill them, they never had time to hit him. I haven't had a decent crusader yet. I have each class max, just haven't geared him. I like the skills and their class specific gear. Maybe I'll do that tonight while I get shirtfaced with my buddy.

And yeah.. big fan of the holy steed skill that chains surrounding monsters and drags them to death behind you.

Crusader has the best animations. Falling Sword is also beastly looking, though unfortunately not terribly useful.

If you want crazy survivability (and aren't trying to push GRifts) try boon of the hoarder, gladiator gauntlets, and goldskin with the goldwrap belt (+armor equal to amount of gold picked up). You can run around with millions and millions of toughness.

I want to be one of the cool kids!

Last PC game I finished was probably either Monkey Island 2 or Indiana Jones (I loved those Lucas Arts games). I played a bunch of Mario Kart and stuff with my kids, some halo, wee bit of the CoD.

But now I'm back in the game. I just installed Borderlands 1. Having fun with it too. Loved the intro.

Borderlands probably has the best NPC commentary of any game I've played. It's hilarious. I get bored of open world games though. Too dumb to adventure, I guess.

Thinking I may start up in season 5 of diablo 3 (Venari#1736). Last season was a Tal Rasha's wizard. Thinking i'll go DH this time 'round, but not sure.

Also, Ark Survival just added beer brewing. I don't know why they decided to make thatch an ingredient, so I'll assume they need it to oak the beer while it's already in a wooden barrel?

Thinking I may start up in season 5 of diablo 3 (Venari#1736). Last season was a Tal Rasha's wizard. Thinking i'll go DH this time 'round, but not sure.

Also, Ark Survival just added beer brewing. I don't know why they decided to make thatch an ingredient, so I'll assume they need it to oak the beer while it's already in a wooden barrel?

I'll add you tonight - I'm playing a crusader in S5, currently at lvl40. Once I hit 70 I'll be going the Invoker Thorns (tanky) build, which would pair well with a wizard.

Man I killed me some skag tonight. Finally got the right set of weapons.

Borderlands is one of my favorite games ever, I love open world games and the couch co-op is great.

I never played Borderlands 1 (I was gifted it, but haven't played it) but I did play quite a lot of Borderlands 2. Never bought any of the DLC mind you, and only ever played solo... but still, sank a lot of time into it. Handsome Jack is tied for the best villain of all time with GlaDOs from Portal.

Man I killed me some skag tonight. Finally got the right set of weapons.

Dude the only thing I remember about Borderlands, is killing some massive skag in an arena, or something. I might have to put that game in some night. I've got all of them, but only ever end up playing for an hour or two and put them on the shelf. Seems to be a trend with a lot of games I have...

I did finally get back into D3 though (console/hardcore characters). I love the new patch. I've been working on my crusader a little since he was the least geared of them all. My luck at getting gear has been weird. I've found like 2 pieces of each set. My hope is to get a full thorns set to try one of the set dungeons, then I'll probably go back to a more exciting class. He's just too tanky.

I did finally get back into D3 though (console/hardcore characters). I love the new patch. I've been working on my crusader a little since he was the least geared of them all. My luck at getting gear has been weird. I've found like 2 pieces of each set. My hope is to get a full thorns set to try one of the set dungeons, then I'll probably go back to a more exciting class. He's just too tanky.

For a non-tanky crusader (not sure how competitive this build is as of 2.4 mind you) try a shield-cross build or the definitely competitive Rolands Sweep Attack build.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/413d2s/deadsets_guide_to_24_detailed_class_guides/

Has anyone here played Black Desert Online? I don't think the U.S. version has released yet but I did play the Korean version awhile back and I'm super excited for it to come to the U.S.

I'll probably spend an unhealthy amount of time playing it, once I get my new laptop lol

Was playing a little skyrim last night when my GPU **** the bed.. bummer.. Already have a new one on order but have to wait 3-5 days for delivery.

Was playing a little skyrim last night when my GPU **** the bed.. bummer.. Already have a new one on order but have to wait 3-5 days for delivery.

I feel your pain. I went through 2 on my 360. I think the entertainment center we used to keep it in just didn't have enough ventilation, and it kept overheating.

I feel your pain. I went through 2 on my 360. I think the entertainment center we used to keep it in just didn't have enough ventilation, and it kept overheating.

Had the same thing happen on a PS3 five months after the 2 year extended warranty was up.. I stay away from sony products now.

This happened on a pc about 3.5 years after putting the GPU in there.

I did have it mildly oc'ed but honestly I believe they're built to fail in 2-4 years

Had the same thing happen on a PS3 five months after the 2 year extended warranty was up.. I stay away from sony products now.

This happened on a pc about 3.5 years after putting the GPU in there.

I did have it mildly oc'ed but honestly I believe they're built to fail in 2-4 years

I built a pc for a friend of mine back in 2010, one of the GPU's failed this year. He already had a back up card, because he was planning on upgrading. I think with decent ventilation, and keeping the inside dust free and everything cool, 5-6 years is easy to get out of a card. Of course, you'll be severely outdated at that point. He could still play most new games at decent settings on it though.

3.5 years isn't bad either, definitely time to upgrade anyways.

GPUs tend to run much hotter than CPUs yet they have cheap coolers on them.
The key to keeping it healthy is case ventilation; don't settle on a cheap quiet case for a gaming PC. Mine has 8 fans and liquid cooling for the CPU.
As computer components age the temps go up, cleaning the heatsink with compressed air regularly and reapplying thermal grease yearly may help.
If you buy a decent card today, it should still work fine 5-6 years from now when you are ready for a new one.

The key to keeping it healthy is case ventilation; don't settle on a cheap quiet case for a gaming PC. Mine has 8 fans and liquid cooling for the CPU.
As computer components age the temps go up, cleaning the heatsink with compressed air regularly and reapplying thermal grease yearly may help.
If you buy a decent card today, it should still work fine 5-6 years from now when you are ready for a new one.

This is why it's worth buying a quality, top-name-brand aftermarket version of cards (in my case, Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti - three good fans on it compared to the solo dinky fan on a reference card). It's also, I'm sure, part of the reason that liquid cooling for cards is becoming popular now.

You really don't need 8 fans. There are huge diminishing returns. 2 in, one out is plenty to keep stable, comfortable temperatures. The design of cases definitely comes in handy also - you want open space to promote airflow, and it also is helpful for ease of building/cable management. You can still run a silent/quiet case and keep things cool with a good case and good fans (another shameless plug - Fractal Design Define R5 is a beast case)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ[/ame]

I bought a huge aluminium Liam Li case many years ago ($$). I rebuild my computer every few years, but that case will never change.

Been playing this season of d3 with the demon hunter. Dont like him much, slow to kill stuff though I can sit there and barely get hurt. Maybe I need to work on a different build. It seems that the update of D3 from vanilla when it shipped made everything much easier. Survivability is far higher, soloability is much easier, drops are increased greatly. I kinda miss the fact that I would always have crappy builds in D1 and 2 because I could never find anything decent. Rares were rare back then. Set pieces even more so. I am going to have to get this DH up to 70 and try and finish off the season journey then start a different character. Havent played a cursader yet. They fun?

Rares were rare back then. Set pieces even more so. I am going to have to get this DH up to 70 and try and finish off the season journey then start a different character. Havent played a cursader yet. They fun?

Crusader is interesting, but if you're looking for a challenge I wouldn't go that route. I was just making this point about loot with a few friends the other day. I don't even pick up blues/yellows any more unless I'm struggling for crafting materials, which really hasn't been the case in a really long time. It's so much more a grind now than the old games were, I don't really get excited over loot. D1, playing with a buddy, when you heard that *TING* when a ring dropped... you push your buddy out of the way and start mashing buttons to get it before he does.

Even at D3 release, yellows were a big deal. I sold a bunch of decent yellow rings at $5 a pop. It was awesome. Now all I have is a few big ticket items I'm hoping to find, The Furnace, Wand of Woe and Akarat's Awakening.

I did accidentally find out something fun last night though; I tried to extract the power from a Puzzle Ring at Kunai's Cube and it opened a treasure realm instead... would've been nice to know before hand but they aren't too hard to come by. I'll definitely be saving a few of those. Also saw my buddy attempt his first Set Dungeon. It's the first one I've seen; he tried Inna's dungeon for the Monk. Wow. It's a lot more deliberate in it's challenges than I had expected and difficulty level does not apply, so you can't just make it easy and crush it. You also don't have permanent death in the Set Dungeon, and just get ported out so they are viable 'end game' on hardcore.

I did accidentally find out something fun last night though; I tried to extract the power from a Puzzle Ring at Kunai's Cube and it opened a treasure realm instead... would've been nice to know before hand but they aren't too hard to come by. I'll definitely be saving a few of those.

Similarly, the Bovine Bardiche 2H will open a portal to the Cow Realm if cube'd.

As for difficulty... the power creep is real. Yeah, getting optimal gear (ancient with good rolls) is a grind. That's the entire point of this genre of game IMO. Greater Rifts are the new endgame, as they scale infinitely in difficulty.

Also, I <3 DHs. Marauders 6pc is a fun set, as is the unhallowed essence build.

Crusader is interesting, but if you're looking for a challenge I wouldn't go that route. I was just making this point about loot with a few friends the other day. I don't even pick up blues/yellows any more unless I'm struggling for crafting materials, which really hasn't been the case in a really long time. It's so much more a grind now than the old games were, I don't really get excited over loot. D1, playing with a buddy, when you heard that *TING* when a ring dropped... you push your buddy out of the way and start mashing buttons to get it before he does.

Even at D3 release, yellows were a big deal. I sold a bunch of decent yellow rings at $5 a pop. It was awesome. Now all I have is a few big ticket items I'm hoping to find, The Furnace, Wand of Woe and Akarat's Awakening.

I did accidentally find out something fun last night though; I tried to extract the power from a Puzzle Ring at Kunai's Cube and it opened a treasure realm instead... would've been nice to know before hand but they aren't too hard to come by. I'll definitely be saving a few of those. Also saw my buddy attempt his first Set Dungeon. It's the first one I've seen; he tried Inna's dungeon for the Monk. Wow. It's a lot more deliberate in it's challenges than I had expected and difficulty level does not apply, so you can't just make it easy and crush it. You also don't have permanent death in the Set Dungeon, and just get ported out so they are viable 'end game' on hardcore.

I must admit last season I whupped up on the wizard character. I still pick up yellows just to sell and because I have no real set yet. Havent figured out how to get millions quickly like everyone else seems to. yeah I remember how rare it was to have full rare equipment.

Similarly, the Bovine Bardiche 2H will open a portal to the Cow Realm if cube'd.

As for difficulty... the power creep is real. Yeah, getting optimal gear (ancient with good rolls) is a grind. That's the entire point of this genre of game IMO. Greater Rifts are the new endgame, as they scale infinitely in difficulty.

Also, I <3 DHs. Marauders 6pc is a fun set, as is the unhallowed essence build.

You know how they say that the cow level is a lie on the loading screens? I went into a rift the other day and it was peopled (monstered?) by cows and i fought the cow king. Was fun. Another was populated with teddy bears and unicorns. What a fun easter egg.

Maybe I will have to try out that build. The one I am playing with is tediously slow.

You know how they say that the cow level is a lie on the loading screens? I went into a rift the other day and it was peopled (monstered?) by cows and i fought the cow king. Was fun. Another was populated with teddy bears and unicorns. What a fun easter egg.

Maybe I will have to try out that build. The one I am playing with is tediously slow.

Yep, that's the cow level. It's entertaining. The other one is Whimsyshire. Some goblins open a portal to it.

For gold... it's time, and using +gold gear, namely the Boon of the Hoarder legendary gem. On my non-seasonal character I have at least 200mil gold haha

You know how they say that the cow level is a lie on the loading screens? I went into a rift the other day and it was peopled (monstered?) by cows and i fought the cow king.

Nice dude. I haven't been given the cow level yet, bummer. The only cool random thing I really have run into is the catacomb in the Cemetery of Forsaken that has all the monsters named after programmers or whatever. I also don't mind the teddy bear/unicorn rifts, but I can barely stand Whimsyshire. Place hurts my eyes. Which is unfortunate, I'd like to get some of the funky gear from there. On PC I had Prism.. or prismatic blade.. I can't remember what it was called, but it looked like a lightsaber and I think it had all base stats. Wouldn't mind getting a Horadric Hamburger to joke around with.

Oh. That reminds me of one other little 'easter egg' I had, which I think I lost on one of my early hardcore characters. It was some ring or amulet, I believe, that I found from a random monster in Caldeum sewers that had lore on it referencing Murlocs from WoW. I think it would've summoned one.

There's lots of easter eggs in Diablo 3, such as the Deadmau5 ammy, Halcyon's Ascent

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4X1dVnRhf0[/ame]

There's also the Lich King's helm in Icefall Caves, Tasker + Theo, etc

Back