Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of the last Tomb Raider I played and the reason I decided I'd never try another one. The majority of the game was scaling this huge (mountain/wall/cliff/building/ruins) just to get to the top and go into a cut scene of Lara falling down the other side. Over and over.

I understand why they did it... I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and these campaign missions would be stupid easy if I got to choose my loadout every time.

I would just post up with my silenced sniper rifle and plink away until they stopped coming, then run to the objective unhindered.

However, I'm getting into the Himalayas a lot more and the blowing snow severely limits your visibility... so, while it's nice for sneaking, really farks up the sniping game. Luckily I also have a nice sub machine gun with an optical scope, silencer and extended mag. Well, when they let me keep my guns.

I'm just going to leave this here, it seems like the most appropriate place:

10989117_485312008288649_8450155389138695650_n.jpg

Farcry 4 was awesome! Great graphics and always something interesting going on. Once I had the grenade launcher and access to gyro-copters, taking the outposts became easy. Hover above them and rain death upon their heads!!!!!!!

Farcry 4 was awesome! Great graphics and always something interesting going on. Once I had the grenade launcher and access to gyro-copters, taking the outposts became easy. Hover above them and rain death upon their heads!!!!!!!

Yeah, I do like the little buzzer, a lot faster to get around.

Outposts are still cake, I just pick off everyone who I can one-shot from about 200 meters with the silenced sniper rifle, then sneak in and takedown the heavies, undetected more often than not. The hunters are by far the most difficult enemies to deal with, especially if 3 or more are around.

But I agree, random encounters were jacked up a notch. Courier chase, supply trucks, even the skirmishes between NPCs are much more abundant in this one. It's kind of a problem, because I'll be going to the next mission or what-have-you, and a supply truck will roll by and it's game on. Total ADD.

I think the best thing I've seen so far was when I went to help some Golden Path dudes that were having a little gunfight in the woods, I roll up and pop one of the enemies right away, take aim at another and a tiger jumps out attacks him.

I was laughing while getting ready to take out the tiger when it came at me, and all of a sudden a freaking grizzly bear lumbers out of the bushes and starts fighting the tiger.

I watched long enough to see the bear win, then I got the hell out of there.

Yeah, I do like the little buzzer, a lot faster to get around.

Outposts are still cake, I just pick off everyone who I can one-shot from about 200 meters with the silenced sniper rifle, then sneak in and takedown the heavies, undetected more often than not. The hunters are by far the most difficult enemies to deal with, especially if 3 or more are around.

But I agree, random encounters were jacked up a notch. Courier chase, supply trucks, even the skirmishes between NPCs are much more abundant in this one. It's kind of a problem, because I'll be going to the next mission or what-have-you, and a supply truck will roll by and it's game on. Total ADD.

I think the best thing I've seen so far was when I went to help some Golden Path dudes that were having a little gunfight in the woods, I roll up and pop one of the enemies right away, take aim at another and a tiger jumps out attacks him.

I was laughing while getting ready to take out the tiger when it came at me, and all of a sudden a freaking grizzly bear lumbers out of the bushes and starts fighting the tiger.

I watched long enough to see the bear win, then I got the hell out of there.

Dang, now you're making me wish Farcry 4 was on a better sale right now. I thought the original Farcry was the most boring, flat shooter I'd played in years, but the second and third installments were stellar and I'm expecting the same for the fourth whenever it gets cheap enough for me.

I just picked up The Long Dark on the Steam sale. It's still in Early Access, but it's an interesting game. Not a lot of action - you're just trying your best to survive without freezing, starving, or getting mauled to death by wolves or bears - but every action matters because there are no saved games (except to serve as a placeholder between sessions) and death is permanent, so if you've survived a month and you've got a nice homestead with a bed and a fireplace, warm clothing, a working rifle with some ammo, and a steady supply of food and firewood, you're still just one bad blizzard or animal attack away from starting over with nothing.

Dang, now you're making me wish Farcry 4 was on a better sale right now. I thought the original Farcry was the most boring, flat shooter I'd played in years, but the second and third installments were stellar and I'm expecting the same for the fourth whenever it gets cheap enough for me.

I just picked up The Long Dark on the Steam sale. It's still in Early Access, but it's an interesting game. Not a lot of action - you're just trying your best to survive without freezing, starving, or getting mauled to death by wolves or bears - but every action matters because there are no saved games (except to serve as a placeholder between sessions) and death is permanent, so if you've survived a month and you've got a nice homestead with a bed and a fireplace, warm clothing, a working rifle with some ammo, and a steady supply of food and firewood, you're still just one bad blizzard or animal attack away from starting over with nothing.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, it's still just more of the same (not that it's a bad thing)... But a bit more going on in between missions. I'd wait for a good deal, I'm only playing it because my brother beat it and is heavy into Black Ops again.

I haven't bought a game in a while, lol.

I find it funny that you play games to be disappointed in the most extreme way possible.

Those are the games I was raised on. You never pulled an all-nighter with a friend in sixth grade trying to beat Gauntlet? The only game I ever beat was Castlevania. The rest were just hours of endless misery inevitably ending in death of your character. The most challenging part about new games is suffering through horrible stories.

Those are the games I was raised on. You never pulled an all-nighter with a friend in sixth grade trying to beat Gauntlet? The only game I ever beat was Castlevania. The rest were just hours of endless misery inevitably ending in death of your character. The most challenging part about new games is suffering through horrible stories.

These things have stories? I usually get up to get a beer and zone out until I can start shooting people in the face again.

Also, in 6th grade I think I was playing a lot of Diablo or Heroes of Might and Magic... maybe Command and Conquer.

I really don't remember though, haha. Is it normal not to remember much of middle school or high school?

I liked Farcry 4 because being set in Nepal made for awesome scenic backgrounds. Graphics have come SO far since my Atari days:)

I won't even get into the workaround I found for liberating bell towers;)

Also, in 6th grade I think I was playing a lot of Diablo or Heroes of Might and Magic... maybe Command and Conquer.

I really don't remember though, haha. Is it normal not to remember much of middle school or high school?

I can't remember what I did two days ago, it's fine. I also have no sense of time, so the time frame I threw out there could be off by a lot. The point remains the same.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert is a funny game in my mind because we got it on our first computer. I remember calling my friend seeing if he wanted to play against each other, then hanging up real quick and trying to connect on dial-up.

Diablo was just night after night in my friends basement drinking Labatt Blue from his dads bar.

I liked Farcry 4 because being set in Nepal made for awesome scenic backgrounds. Graphics have come SO far since my Atari days:)

I won't even get into the workaround I found for liberating bell towers;)

I've just been flying the buzzer to the top and hovering right over the platform, exit vehicle, land on top platform, liberate, then go get back in my buzzer if it didn't blow up. I can't actually land it on the tower, I've tried, but maybe not hard enough.

I've just been flying the buzzer to the top and hovering right over the platform, exit vehicle, land on top platform, liberate, then go get back in my buzzer if it didn't blow up. I can't actually land it on the tower, I've tried, but maybe not hard enough.

That it, but you can land on the roof outside the top tier. Experiment and you'll find it quite easy.:mug:

Just upgraded my video card and got Fallout 4. I am not sure I will brew for the next month, because that would be time away from F4. Geez, it is so huge and immersive and pretty! I've never had a video card that allowed me to play a gorgeous game at 1080, Ultra settings. Playing on my 47" TV with the surround cranked. I have stopped caring about everything else.

The grays and browns are so vivid though! The grey sky, the brown ground, the grey buildings, the brown monsters, the grey items, the brown items, all just popping against the grey and brown background.

Beautiful!

:D

Pffft! Shows what you know!

The glowing ghouls and green mutants absolutely "pop" against all the grays and browns.

There's a mod (two, actually) that will either make the game MORE desolate and bleak looking (fades all colours), or makes things a tad more colourful.

If you don't want to use the floormat bug to build fences around your settlements, use the Simple Intersections mod. Makes building fences much easier, and probably what the devs intended

I didn't know that storing your junk at different crafting stations doesn't condense it all into one default storage. I now have junk spread across the wasteland and not enough stuff at any of them to actually modify my weapons/armor.

I didn't know that storing your junk at different crafting stations doesn't condense it all into one default storage. I now have junk spread across the wasteland and not enough stuff at any of them to actually modify my weapons/armor.

Get 6 points into Charisma, and pick up the Local Leader perk. This allows you to set up supply lines between settlements. All supplies are shared between linked settlements, allowing you to craft and mod with the shared inventory.

The only items not shared are Bottlecaps (from stores you create) and Purified water. These are stored only in the settlement the shops are at, or at the settlements with the water purifiers in the puddle/lake/river/ocean.

Get 6 points into Charisma, and pick up the Local Leader perk. This allows you to set up supply lines between settlements. All supplies are shared between linked settlements, allowing you to craft and mod with the shared inventory.

The only items not shared are Bottlecaps (from stores you create) and Purified water. These are stored only in the settlement the shops are at, or at the settlements with the water purifiers in the puddle/lake/river/ocean.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I was pissed when I found out that's how it worked because I haven't really been able to mod any of my weapons due to lack of supplies.

Another question, what are the best crafting items to pick up when out and about without weighing you down? I've been grabbing up all the adhesive I come across but that's about it...

I feel like it's the little things that I'm always running out of: screws, gears, adhesive, oil, copper, occasionally leather. Most settlements have tons of wood, concrete, and steel that you can scrap.

Another question, what are the best crafting items to pick up when out and about without weighing you down? I've been grabbing up all the adhesive I come across but that's about it...

Also Vegetable starch can be used as an is an adhesive. I'm happy they have a search function so I know which items has what I need. I've been running low on screws. Do not want to spend 1000caps on 25 of them.

Mods, weapons, armor, etc that you store doesnt share either. All that moves is the raw materials/junk

Adhesive. Aluminum is good, oil, springs, and the like. Dump anything that is heavy and does not contribute much. Definitely collect technological items like crystal, fuses, the board game or alarm clock and the like. I tend to use a mental # of supplies:weight ratio and some things I just wont pick up. Also, Max the Scrounger perk asap (disassembling weapons and armor gives you rarer parts such as springs, oil, etc.

Also Vegetable starch can be used as an is an adhesive. I'm happy they have a search function so I know which items has what I need. I've been running low on screws. Do not want to spend 1000caps on 25 of them.

Yes, cook this. One corn, mutfruit, and one tater. makes a fair bit of adhesive.

I find it funny that you play games to be disappointed in the most extreme way possible.

For me, dying in The Long Dark is kind've fun. Whether you slowly succumb to the elements or get suddenly mauled by a bear or frozen to death by a surprise blizzard while you're gathering firewood, you come out of it excited to start up again, because each playthrough you learn a little more of the game world - where everything is and how to survive - and the next time you start up you're better prepared to survive a little longer than the time before.

It's still in alpha, too - eventually there will be a bigger game area and a story mode to play through as well.

Annnnnnnd I'm officially out.

Enjoy your playthrough of Skyrim 2: The Wastelands.

I'm sure that when I get the game I'll be excited about building settlements, but it sounds like the pits to read about it. If I wanted to build settlements, I'd play Minecraft or Terraria. Definitely not making me more excited to play Fallout 4...

I'm sure that when I get the game I'll be excited about building settlements, but it sounds like the pits to read about it. If I wanted to build settlements, I'd play Minecraft or Terraria. Definitely not making me more excited to play Fallout 4...

I agree. Building the settlements is not really fun for me, but thats the beauty. You don't have to do it at all to play the game. You can just make the gas station your home base as it is abandoned, maybe build a defensive turret or 6 and just continue the other quests not bothering with the Minuteman quests after leading them to Sanctuary. Or so I believe. I pretty much when I gain a new town just connect them to the others, build some defenses and make sure that whoever is there has food and water and leave them to their own devices.

Definitely not making me more excited to play Fallout 4...

Agreed. Reading about nuts, bolts and not being able to connect fences was a bigger turn off than I thought. Now I get home and look at FO4 next to Black Ops, think about the clunky graphics and just go shoot people for an hour on Blops.

I'll get bored enough to sit through some of it eventually.

Definitely not making me more excited to play Fallout 4...

I have no intention to focus on settlements any more than the game requires.

Unfortunately, collecting all this **** is still necessary for weapon and armor mods and that is kind of fun.

I still prefer FO3.

I havent fooled with settlements yet. I want to play the game. I went through the minutemen plot line where it teaches you what to do but I do not care for that now. Every so often you need to go back and kill some raiders but the game lets you know and you can fast travel over there. Played last night. Still time flies by in that game. On my way to Vault 94? There Caits mission is so I can get another follower and another mission.

Food, water, enough beds, and build 4-6 turrets......Good enough.
So far I have been 'called' back to Sanctuary once because of attack. The turrets seem to do a good job.

Back