Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is nice having a use for every little bit of garbage that you can pick up.

This ... along with the "hearthfire" aspect of the game, does not bode well for the little bit of free time I have. Really look forward to the loot system, if it does have some random aspect similar to Diablo to it. There isn't anything I really hate more than pre-meditated / static loot. If I restart or play the game again, I don't want to know that going to the same corner of a cave will reward me with a Lead Pipe of Doom.

This ... along with the "hearthfire" aspect of the game, does not bode well for the little bit of free time I have. Really look forward to the loot system, if it does have some random aspect similar to Diablo to it. There isn't anything I really hate more than pre-meditated / static loot. If I restart or play the game again, I don't want to know that going to the same corner of a cave will reward me with a Lead Pipe of Doom.

Well. Most of what you are going to get are the vanilla versions of the weapons armor or what have you. You will find versions that already have some upgrades. Then you will also come across legendary versions of the bad guys which are harder to kill and drop equipment (usually weapons I think) with special bonuses on them. Like a shotgun with an unlimited magazine capacity (it looks like it should only hold two, but you never have to reload. You just run out of ammo).

The hearthfire part... well. I played around with it far more than I would like to admit. I would say that the whole settlement defense part can be cool, but will probably get annoying when you keep getting called to head there to fight things off. I think I am going to just stick with the original two locations until I advance further in the game.

Also, I wish I could find somewhere to sell off all this crap. My bags are heavy.

Also, I wish I could find somewhere to sell off all this crap. My bags are heavy.

This is the problem I'm running into right now. I'm always a pack rat in these games, and I haven't found any stores or traders yet. I've been scrapping a lot of stuff to use on my settlement.

This is the problem I'm running into right now. I'm always a pack rat in these games, and I haven't found any stores or traders yet. I've been scrapping a lot of stuff to use on my settlement.

Google tells me there is a coffee shop type place near sanctuary where two raiders are harassing a poor woman. Once you kill em off, supposedly she will trade with you. I aint found it yet though. Maybe I am going to just press on to diamond city or whatever it is called. Also, I found that it looks like you can put guns, armor etc in the raw materials supply places in your town.

Haven't found the coffee shop yet. I got sidetracked a couple of times, but I'm heading to Diamond City now. There are super mutants around that area, so I'm outgunned at my current level.

Once you kill em off, supposedly she will trade with you.

Haven't found the coffee shop yet.

Got a good chuckle out of this conversation. Made me remember one of the old games, I used to have a garbage can that I'd dump all my extra gear and stuff into. For some reason the game never purged it's contents, so it was like a personal bank space. I might definitely have to buy this game for the weekend... fawk...

Haven't found the coffee shop yet. I got sidetracked a couple of times, but I'm heading to Diamond City now. There are super mutants around that area, so I'm outgunned at my current level.

There is a farm Near concord that you can trade also there is a "store" that you can build that a trader will eventually arrive.

Found some random encounters talking about synth. The story is getting interesting. So far Fallout is *(@&ing amazing

Still have VATS? Is melee still stupid in VATS? The old sneak up, punch someone and their head falls off... effective... but silly.

VATS is still there. Havent melee with Vats yet. The shooting is so much better in this one. I havent used VATS as much as Fallout 3 yet.

Still have VATS? Is melee still stupid in VATS? The old sneak up, punch someone and their head falls off... effective... but silly.

There is, but instead of pausing the action, it just slows it down, meaning you can still take fire if you dawdle too long picking your shots. Makes for a little more strategy. But yes, the gore is still there too.

Looked into it some more while being bored at work yesterday evening. Apparently caps are not all that necessary anymore and the spare parts are more useful. Supposedly you should be disassembling for parts.

Got a good chuckle out of this conversation. Made me remember one of the old games, I used to have a garbage can that I'd dump all my extra gear and stuff into. For some reason the game never purged it's contents, so it was like a personal bank space. I might definitely have to buy this game for the weekend... fawk...

Do it! All the cool kids are doing it. You know you wanna.

Found some random encounters talking about synth. The story is getting interesting. So far Fallout is *(@&ing amazing

agreed

VATS is still around, they just made it so that instead of pausing the game, instead it just drastically slows it down to make life more interesting. There is still silliness to it, but it feels a bit better. I do though like the lack of autoaim when shooting from the hip.

Played both Fallout 4 and Tomb Raider Rise, so far, both are excellent as expected. Tomb Raider still has some very linear aspects but they feel more fluid than the previous game.

I also came across a trader near sanctuary. Runs a melon and tato farms or something. She didn't have anything I didn't already have as far as guns tho'. I also found a root cellar back near Codsworth. Have been using that as my loot bank.

Is Fallout good for a reason or are you guys just fanning over it?

I adored FO3. Was let down by FO:NV.

FO3 took me back to my youth when I was doing stupid **** in abandoned buildings, and caves. That aspect of the game took me back to that creepy dunno whats around the corner feeling.

Having never been to the DC area made the game even more interesting after we had an impromptu trip to DC not long after I had finished that leg of the game.

Anyone here play the DeadPool game on XBox360?

It is set to release this month on Xbox One. My kids are DeadPool fans. I know there is language in the game, I am just not sure it's a game worth $49.99 for download or if I should wait for a used copy from GameStop.

I adored FO3. Was let down by FO:NV.

FO3 took me back to my youth when I was doing stupid **** in abandoned buildings, and caves. That aspect of the game took me back to that creepy dunno whats around the corner feeling.

Having never been to the DC area made the game even more interesting after we had an impromptu trip to DC not long after I had finished that leg of the game.

It made it cooler for me living in the area and seeing things sorta like they are in real life. Apparently with their ability to build worlds they made DC so much bigger than it ended up being in the game and cut large portions out to make it smaller. I kinda wish they didn't. Would be cool if they left the whole built world there. I like a big sandbox.

I kind of wish they did the same with 4. I don't understand how in a post nuclear apocalypse world there are still houses/buildings that you cannot enter. I would rather see a building of debris over a boarded up house that apparently myself and other motivated ambulatory miscreants are just too polite to pry off. Heck. I think it would be cool to make it so that walls could be broken apart. Yes it would be a lot of work to furnish, etc the abandoned empty buildings, but yaknow.

Anyone here play the DeadPool game on XBox360?

It is set to release this month on Xbox One. My kids are DeadPool fans. I know there is language in the game, I am just not sure it's a game worth $49.99 for download or if I should wait for a used copy from GameStop.

It's hilarious.. And in good Dead Pool fashion wholely inappropriate. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it though. it's awesome for used like maybe 20 dollar price.

I play my games on a 67" Samsung DLP. It has been an awesome TV, until about a year ago. First the picture went dull, and I began to notice what looked like dust on the back side of the screen. Then I noticed 1 white pixel. Now it is hundreds of white pixels. And what I originally thought was dust, are dead black pixels.

It's finally gotten to be unwatchable and near impossible to game on.

So I ordered a new DMD chip to fix it. The chip arrived today. :mug:

The tube of silver thermal compound I ordered with it, however, won't be here for another week. WTF! :mad:

Welcome to the life waster club. The fame is addictive. Just getting into the city. Just scratched the surface.

True to form... as soon as they allowed me out of the character creation area, I picked a direction and started running. I had to turn the game off and play a few rounds of Black Ops before I found something interesting and stayed up too late. Controls were a bit unfamiliar feeling for some reason. A few errant shots here and there while trying to make it do what I wanted, but it will be a nice hangover day game for sure.

Can't change hairstyle... or am I too stupid and distracted and missed it? Shameful if not.

You can change the hair. Just have to select it. Make sure you expolore the buildings. There are skeletons laying around that tell a story. Some are pretty comical. Found a set of skeletons that one was strangling the other and this pic below. Ill be taking more pics when i find them

View attachment 1447422166060.jpg

True to form... as soon as they allowed me out of the character creation area, I picked a direction and started running. I had to turn the game off and play a few rounds of Black Ops before I found something interesting and stayed up too late. Controls were a bit unfamiliar feeling for some reason. A few errant shots here and there while trying to make it do what I wanted, but it will be a nice hangover day game for sure.

Can't change hairstyle... or am I too stupid and distracted and missed it? Shameful if not.

You change the hairstyle by highlighting the hair on the face customization.

You change the hairstyle by highlighting the hair on the face customization.

Ah damnit.. I went to the "drag feature" of creation and decided funk that, I don't need to make my nose look pretty.. completely didn't think to try to adjust the hair. They always just had a section for that. Oh well. Got some sweet hipster buzz and I'll hopefully have a killer welding mask or something soon anyway.

I assume I have to find a bench or something to break stuff down? Wasn't going to start picking up junk until I could do something with it. Also, no karma? I robbed the hell out of a few people yesterday and the game didn't give a damn. I'm ok with that.

Ah damnit.. I went to the "drag feature" of creation and decided funk that, I don't need to make my nose look pretty.. completely didn't think to try to adjust the hair. They always just had a section for that. Oh well. Got some sweet hipster buzz and I'll hopefully have a killer welding mask or something soon anyway.

I assume I have to find a bench or something to break stuff down? Wasn't going to start picking up junk until I could do something with it. Also, no karma? I robbed the hell out of a few people yesterday and the game didn't give a damn. I'm ok with that.

There is a bench in Sanctuary across the street from your old house. If you play through the main missing (start in Concorde) you'll set up a settlement there. You can find benches through out the commonwealth to help. You can store items in the bench and build containers to hold it all. Havent really explored the crafting too much. Updated the armor, some goodies for the guns. I dont know if Karma might have an effect later on, it might.

I dont know if Karma might have an effect later on, it might.

Yeah I just didn't even see a stat for it. In the past, as soon as you did something ill-mannered it would make that scary noise and say karma was adjusted. Never cared, I'll always play 'whats yours is mine' on these games. I just found some town with a robot named something along the lines of Mr. Goodfeels, so I saved it there and called it a night until I've got time to really get down.

There are barbers around some of the towns if you feel like changing it later.

Yeah, there are benches for armor, weapons and settlement building where you can scrap items and customize what you have equipped.

They got rid of karma, along with some of the other old features (skill points on individual attributes, repairing damaged weapons, using Stimpacks to heal crippled limbs). It streamlines things a lot.

I also discovered yesterday that there are occasional radiation storms, where you have to find shelter or get irradiated to sht. Fun.

Yeah I just didn't even see a stat for it. In the past, as soon as you did something ill-mannered it would make that scary noise and say karma was adjusted. Never cared, I'll always play 'whats yours is mine' on these games. I just found some town with a robot named something along the lines of Mr. Goodfeels, so I saved it there and called it a night until I've got time to really get down.

I stole from Mr. Goodfeels and he unleashed a **** storm of robots on my ass. Needless to say I didn't make it!

The first barber I found was in Diamond City, near the newspaper. You'll be able to change your hairstyle there.

I was not aware that they took away weapon repair. Not sure if I like that or not. I always hated that part (only because I never had what I needed with me).

Hadn't played enough to sort out the differences. I knew the karma system got nicked, but IIRC NPC's are more aware that you have stolen from them and the consequences are higher in that they attack.

I stole from Mr. Goodfeels and he unleashed a **** storm of robots on my ass. Needless to say I didn't make it!

My only rule to game thievery: Don't steal from robots. Let them keep their crappy crap trinkets.

I was not aware that they took away weapon repair. Not sure if I like that or not.

Yeh.. not sure how I feel about that either. The first thing I did was pick up all the vault suits I could find so I could repair them against each other as necessary lol. Guess, more of a habit that will need to be adjusted.

Hadn't played enough to sort out the differences. I knew the karma system got nicked, but IIRC NPC's are more aware that you have stolen from them and the consequences are higher in that they attack.

That was the case before too. I got run out of Megaton by an angry mob in F3 when I got caught stealing. I couldn't go back for several days game time. :pipe:

u31tw.jpg

So what's all the hubbub about fallout 4? I played the original wasteland game on my c-64 back in the day, and then the sequel that came out recently released through GOG with original team of developers. I know there was some shuffling of ownership and talent between interplay and EA and whomever the new fallout owners are. Beyond that I thought that there was some big change up in the gameplay between squad based/turn based and FPS based gameplay somewhere along the way?
Also what platform is best for it? I have PS3 and PC (with new 980ti card too).

TD

So what's all the hubbub about fallout 4? I played the original wasteland game on my c-64 back in the day, and then the sequel that came out recently released through GOG with original team of developers. I know there was some shuffling of ownership and talent between interplay and EA and whomever the new fallout owners are. Beyond that I thought that there was some big change up in the gameplay between squad based/turn based and FPS based gameplay somewhere along the way?

TD

Fallout 4 is only on the Xbox one, PS4, and PC. Fallout 3 is on PS3, 360, pc. You can buy FO3 for dirt cheap. The series were bought about 10-15yrs ago by Bethesda. Their only title besides this is Fallout 3. Its more of a FPS RPG. There is some turn base with VATS system but its not turn base. You fight people in real time. Its no where near where the first 2 are because its not top down. You can play 3rd if you want it.

I'm a fan and I only played the 3rd and some of New Vegas. Love the story and the amount of game play in these games.

TD

Which game are you asking about, Fallout 4 or Wasteland 2?

Wasteland 2 is a top down squad based game (XCOM / Fallout Tactics).
I forced myself to finish it (60 hours); it isn't terrible but I wouldn't recommend it. I expected something like Fallout 2 but it didn't deliver; most of the game is spent in repetitive combat with little character development. The story isn't particularly good but it has more branches than most trees.
Every character in the game can be killed and the story adjusts to suit; much of the game content you will never see because of this.

Fallout 4 is more like Far Cry 3 + Skyrim in a Fallout setting. Other than the setting and lore it has little to do with the original franchise in terms of game play. Bethesda does well in creating a world to explore but they don't have very imaginative story writers. Main characters cannot be killed; there are few story branches in a Bethesda game. It doesn't really bother me as most of the meat of the game lies in the side quests and lore.

Latest posts

Back