Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved being the DM, mostly because I enjoyed sitting in study hall.. and the classes I disliked, and writing adventures for my friends. I couldn't afford all the D&D books, so I was really just making things up as we went. It worked really well and we had a lot of fun. Simpler times.

That's awesome lol I made a great impression with my first D&D group as Hamsterlegs because one of them was a dark elf and I got on my knees (cause dwarf and all) and walked on my knees over to him and yelled "You dirty Drow!" in a gruff dwarf voice.

The guys face was priceless, and we had to take a break from the game cause everyone was laughing so much. We were also a bit inebriated haha

Every time my buddy would play d&d, he said theyd get in like 3 dice rolls and then everyone would be too drunk/other things to pay attention to what was going on. Same thing happened whenever we played scrabble though. I remember looking down at the board and the central word everything was branched off of was like LORKSING

When I finally hosted D&D campouts in the woods with my friends, they never really took it as seriously as I would have liked. I'd spend all week writing elaborate adventures for them so that when we started playing, everything was smooth and they didn't have to do anything but make decisions and roll dice. One guy, of course, the thief of the group took it extremely serious. The other two, did not. Bullshiiticus thought his character was more powerful than he actually was, which ended up being entertaining at times and I was able to work with it. The other guy just kept asking for things like "Boots of Screw You, You Can't Hit Me". He made it tough to stay serious.

Me and my buddies tried to play D&D a few times back in high school, but every time it ended with one or more of us getting distracted/running out of time/not taking it seriously/whatever and the game always fizzled out after the first few dice rolls. I've yet to actually play through a proper D&D game. I should see if there's any groups around here. Always enjoyed the D&D based video games though (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc).

A few years ago me and a couple buddies played a pretty cool Game of Thrones RPG, but after a few hours and too many beers it devolved into one guy basically just trying to have sex with every NPC and monster we encountered. Probably would have been better too if I wasn't the DM, as I don't have as great an imagination for this sort of thing as others.

giphy.gif

All this talk about D&D brings up a bit of resentment. A group of friends started a just-for-fun D&D game a couple years ago and played for a few months having loads of fun, or so they told me afterwards. Nobody invited me. :( They all moved back to the States, so there's no chance of starting that back up.

Although I played a lot of CCGs and single-player video games when I was younger, role playing was too nerdy for me. When you walk around school with a binder full of Magic cards, boasting to your friends at school about the ultimatum you gave to a rival Fallout: Tactics clan on their message board (three months before the game was even released), you have to have someone to call a nerd, after all. Now, though, I feel like I would have a lot of fun with some tabletop RPG action as long as the group wasn't too serious about it. The perfect opportunity came along and the ba$tards didn't even give me a call.

I would absolutely love to see this kind of game made... I'm an adrenaline junky in many ways lol and I am pretty much always in search of a truly scary game. I enjoyed Outlast, though it wasn't extremely scary and I was very disappointed in Amnesia.

I felt the opposite. Amnesia got me good most of the way through. Eventually I figured out a bit too much about the game mechanics and it wasn't really scary anymore, but I got some great hours out of it before that point. Outlast was alright, but didn't really do as much for me. By the time I started the DLC I was pretty burnt out on it, and somehow the support for my controller broke (playing with an Xbox 360 controller on PC) and I didn't want to bother standing at the standing desk to use M+KB, so I uninstalled the game.

Still have Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs installed, but I don't know if I'll ever play through it. First game I've preordered in almost a decade and between the reviews and the couple hours I've put in on it, not much going on.

Sat down to play The Division with my son yesterday. Soooooo not what I was expecting. I was expecting an open world loot shooter. Wander around to encounter random groups of foes, etc...

What we've seen so far has been very a linear and segmented mission based progression.

Sat down to play The Division with my son yesterday. Soooooo not what I was expecting. I was expecting an open world loot shooter. Wander around to encounter random groups of foes, etc...

What we've seen so far has been very a linear and segmented mission based progression.

Thank you. This is what I needed to know. I expected the same as you did from what I heard, and what you experienced is my worst nightmare in a game. If I can't run off and find some stupid goblins to splatter, and instead have to go talk to a series of people about a frozen magic turd they lost.. the game is worth no more than an hour to me.

Really quite addicted to Path of Exile right now. Determined to make it to end game in hardcore. I've lost three characters so far. Tank mode activated.

He/We are still very early in the game.

But most of the game play I have endured has been a "protect the person" mission style segment. Foes take way too many hard to aim/control shots to take down and come at you in metered waves. You cannot leave the area and do something else because then your objective is lost and you are forced to restart the segment.

Most foes have taken 12 to 30 direct hits to take down. And the recoil/stopping power has not been very immersive.

Not sure if this is a limitation of a game mode / campaign mode that my son has chosen or not. So far, my son and I have just been taking turns on his load-out. I've not had enough time to sit down and start my own run/load-out.

There is a "Dark Zone" section of the game that, IIUC, is more of an open-world, wander and kill, style "map" that is strictly PvP. This area constitutes about 1/3 of the total world map.

So far we've just played PvE. And I have yet to see any real variety in opponents. I'll have more time to play it this weekend and will repost if things take a turn for the better.

He/We are still very early in the game.

But most of the game play I have endured has been a "protect the person" mission style segment. Foes take way too many hard to aim/control shots to take down and come at you in metered waves. You cannot leave the area and do something else because then your objective is lost and you are forced to restart the segment.

Most foes have taken 12 to 30 direct hits to take down. And the recoil/stopping power has not been very immersive.

Not sure if this is a limitation of a game mode / campaign mode that my son has chosen or not. So far, my son and I have just been taking turns on his load-out. I've not had enough time to sit down and start my own run/load-out.

There is a "Dark Zone" section of the game that, IIUC, is more of an open-world, wander and kill, style "map" that is strictly PvP. So far we've just played PvE.

Humph. This is a letdown, but consistent with some of the reviews I've seen. I have a couple friends that bought it, so I might pick it up in the hopes that playing co-op with people I know might improve the experience.

All this talk about D&D brings up a bit of resentment. A group of friends started a just-for-fun D&D game a couple years ago and played for a few months having loads of fun, or so they told me afterwards. Nobody invited me. :( They all moved back to the States, so there's no chance of starting that back up.

Although I played a lot of CCGs and single-player video games when I was younger, role playing was too nerdy for me. When you walk around school with a binder full of Magic cards, boasting to your friends at school about the ultimatum you gave to a rival Fallout: Tactics clan on their message board (three months before the game was even released), you have to have someone to call a nerd, after all. Now, though, I feel like I would have a lot of fun with some tabletop RPG action as long as the group wasn't too serious about it. The perfect opportunity came along and the ba$tards didn't even give me a call.

I felt the opposite. Amnesia got me good most of the way through. Eventually I figured out a bit too much about the game mechanics and it wasn't really scary anymore, but I got some great hours out of it before that point. Outlast was alright, but didn't really do as much for me. By the time I started the DLC I was pretty burnt out on it, and somehow the support for my controller broke (playing with an Xbox 360 controller on PC) and I didn't want to bother standing at the standing desk to use M+KB, so I uninstalled the game.

Still have Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs installed, but I don't know if I'll ever play through it. First game I've preordered in almost a decade and between the reviews and the couple hours I've put in on it, not much going on.

I didn't like the dlc for outlast that much. It was just a cringe fest more than scary. Outlast also wasn't extremely scary, it was more of like a virtual haunted house. It was all about the jump scares. Amnesia was along the same lines but I just never got into it. I might try it out again when I get my pc since I paid for it lol I dunno though, I have a long list of games to catch up on once I get a pc again.

Downloading Diablo II right now.

This is it. This the moment where my life goes right in the sh!tter.

Are any servers still up? If I did that, i'd have to burn everything in my life to the ground.

US East Classic Ladder only. Expansion is for noobs.

A1 duels all night long. Glitchdin gonna wreck some faces.

You can make an MF barb and we'll do Mephisto and CS runs until our eyes bleed.

First time it happened to me. Tried to fix it and it mis-quoted some other random post.

Pineapple beer in a video game thread? What is this world coming to?

I just wanna throw this out there, a good friend of mine is doing a charity for able gamers, if any of you wanna check it out go here:

https://t.co/GbAryxH9mV

If you're able to donate it's one of the best charities to donate to, if not and you just come hang out in the stream you're still helping support the cause a great deal. Also the charity page is up even after this stream. Whatever the case I hope to see some of you there

Not all of us have graphics cards made within the last decade.

Are any servers still up? If I did that, i'd have to burn everything in my life to the ground.

US East Classic Ladder only. Expansion is for noobs.

A1 duels all night long. Glitchdin gonna wreck some faces.

You can make an MF barb and we'll do Mephisto and CS runs until our eyes bleed.

Yup. Playing online right meow.

Not all of us have graphics cards made within the last decade.

Yup. Playing online right meow.

I literally can't. Like you said, my life would be over.

I pk'd the bejebus out of USEast classic ladder years ago. Did you download maphack already? That's a must.

I still have D2 on my computer. Played through A1 at most. I'll do it if you do it.

I'm intrigued by it, but know nothing more than the fact that it is an enormous 'world'.

Literally can't. That **** is worse than heroin... I like my wife and job.

I still have D2 on my computer. Played through A1 at most. I'll do it if you do it.

Literally can't. That **** is worse than heroin... I like my wife and job.

I got all the way through the first quest of Act II last night.

My new wife of only two weeks has already brought up the "D" word.

Okay, so The Division is open world. Yet, still very segmented and mission based.

Dying Light, ish? Is there random loot? I should look up some gameplay I guess. Guy at work harassing me to get the game, just sounds way too linear. Especially with Dark Souls coming soon.

Made the most solid tank character I've ever created on Path of Exile this weekend. Was nearly indestructible, monsters weren't touching him. Went to try and beat the Labyrinth for the first time, saw blade shot out of the wall and actually nicked my health bar. Startled to see lost health for first time in a while, jumped ahead a little to get out of the way. Ran into a spinning wall of spikes, freaked out and ran away right into another saw blade.

RIP

It's so funking exciting.. just need to play standard and figure out the damn labyrinth mechanics before going back to hardcore.

Dying Light, ish? Is there random loot? I should look up some gameplay I guess. Guy at work harassing me to get the game, just sounds way too linear. Especially with Dark Souls coming soon.

Have never played Dying Light. Between mission points/battle waves, I've found a few loot cases. Otherwise, there hasn't been a damned thing but a deserted NY.

I got all the way through the first quest of Act II last night.

My new wife of only two weeks has already brought up the "D" word.

The few hours I played D2 while I was patching D3, it seemed weird. I couldn't quite figure out how to map more than one skill to keys. So I had holy bolt, which sucked.. or some reckoning skill maybe? Can't remember, it was a few years ago.

It really bothered me and I toyed with it for a long time. I'd love to go play through that game, can't do it rocking one skill though. However, if that is how the game is meant to be played.. damn that's hard, but I'll give it another go.

edit: The dog ate my copy of Assassin's Creed Syndicate the day after my wife beat the Jack the Ripper content I bought her. She doesn't play games a lot, but if I find one she can handle.. I just suggest she try it on a day I want to be ignored. Picked up the newer God of War game for her now, for the next time I need a quiet day.

Have never played Dying Light.

I actually had a blast with Dying Light and it's completely out of style for my interests seeing as I hate zombies. It plays almost like Assassins Creed, except at night.. going outside gets real shady. Had some great nights drinking and dropkicking zombies on that game until got some of the skills maxed. Once you can parkour without tiring, the risk cuts in half and it becomes a lot easier. The combat/movement is fluid. The loot is random/random quality and the crafting is quick and smooth. The quests are decent. Worth checking out, especially if you can pick it up for a friendly price.

When D3 first came out the Inferno levels were so ridiculous and the loot too sucky that it was almost impossible to kill most mobs, so people really just farmed barrels.

When D3 first came out the Inferno levels were so ridiculous and the loot too sucky that it was almost impossible to kill most mobs, so people really just farmed barrels.

That seems like an exaggeration. It was hard, but that's just silly. I farmed the two side crypts in Festering Woods over and over. Made some solid beer money doing that.

Back