Victory in Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
Hi,

I really love Yoopers APA recipe. I would like to add some victory malt to it and change the hops to Willamette. I am thinking of adding 4.5% victory as an attempt to get a mild(ish) nut flavour.

I am not very familiar with Victory so I need some feedback prior to brewing.
Does this percentage of Victory make sense? Is it too much or too little? I plan on using a softer, British, yeast as well.

Thanks in advance,
G.R.

I use a little over 5% Victory in my house pale. Course I use 5% Munich also. Plus, I use a British pale malt as a base. So no worries. Jamil uses Victory in a lot of his recipes and I liked it. So, I expanded it to my own recipes. Try it. Experimentation is the spice of life....and brewing.

I use a little over 5% Victory in my house pale. Course I use 5% Munich also. Plus, I use a British pale malt as a base. So no worries. Jamil uses Victory in a lot of his recipes and I liked it. So, I expanded it to my own recipes. Try it. Experimentation is the spice of life....and brewing.

Thanks, Hammy. Did the 5% give you the nutty flavour that I'm looking for??

Sounds good to me. Lately I've been preferring a more full bodied, malty pale ale as well. I now use 20% Vienna in mine and love the results. Victory would further that malty/bready/nutty flavor. I may try that on my next pale since I have like 5 lbs of Victory in the specialty grain bin.

Sounds good to me. Lately I've been preferring a more full bodied, malty pale ale as well. I now use 20% Vienna in mine and love the results. Victory would further that malty/bready/nutty flavor. I may try that on my next pale since I have like 5 lbs of Victory in the specialty grain bin.

Nice.

I'm not a fan of Biscuit malt - it has a sourdough taste that I don't quite like. I have read that victory is more 'nut' than 'bread'.

Give Yooper's APA a try but use British yeast and hops - it's a real winner. I thought about adding the victory for that nutty flavor.

Thanks, Hammy. Did the 5% give you the nutty flavour that I'm looking for??

It's more of a malty undertone to me, but some may call that nutty. From what I've read however, Victory malt is a trademark name. And, most say it's a substitute for biscuit malt. So....if you don't like biscuit, I'm not sure it's for you. I've never done a side to side comparison, so who knows.... I'd still give it a go. :mug:

Nice.

I'm not a fan of Biscuit malt - it has a sourdough taste that I don't quite like. I have read that victory is more 'nut' than 'bread'.

Give Yooper's APA a try but use British yeast and hops - it's a real winner. I thought about adding the victory for that nutty flavor.

I've used Victory in a brown ale along with pale chocolate malt and a bit of Crystal and it was a nice beer.

I really love English Pale Ales for the more subdued flavor, almost like an American Amber Ale. I may go with English yeast and American hops since I love Cascades and Citra in an Pale Ale.

Victory is used in quite a few pale ales/IPA's. I have clone recipes for Hop Stoopid, Maharaja, Anchor Steam, Goose Island Green Line, Half Acre Daily Cutter that have 3-5% victory malt in them. It definitely adds complexity but I don't think it would be called nutty.

Victory is used in quite a few pale ales/IPA's. I have clone recipes for Hop Stoopid, Maharaja, Anchor Steam, Goose Island Green Line, Half Acre Daily Cutter that have 3-5% victory malt in them. It definitely adds complexity but I don't think it would be called nutty.

OK...maybe Victory is not what I want to use. Food for though. Thanks.

I've used Victory in a brown ale along with pale chocolate malt and a bit of Crystal and it was a nice beer.

I really love English Pale Ales for the more subdued flavor, almost like an American Amber Ale. I may go with English yeast and American hops since I love Cascades and Citra in an Pale Ale.

I have often tried the British yeast and American C hops. I find that the malt backbone and British yeast overwhelm the American hops. Just my experience.

I have often tried the British yeast and American C hops. I find that the malt backbone and British yeast overwhelm the American hops. Just my experience.

I would think American hops would cut through the malt better than the milder English hops like EKG and Fuggles. Here's to experimenting! :tank:

Back