very slow Cider fermentation... what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frettfreak

Reaction score
Ok, so this is has never happened to me. I have 5g of Caramel apple cider that has been fermenting for a week (temp controlled to 68 (+/- 1). Og started at 1.069 and i am at 1.048 now. I have made 2 other batches of the same cider and they fermented down to 1.010 in 5 days or less. I measured my OG 2 days ago and it was 1.054 so there is movement, its just SUPER slow. Now, the only thing different was i pitched a "best of both worlds" yeast from white labs (wlp200) but did not use a starter (but did add yeast nutrient which i have not for previous). In my previous batches i used safale s-04.

I have a spare pack of s-04 i could toss in, but wondering if that would create any problems? at this current rate, its gonna be fermenting for months and "aint no body got time for that" lol. I had wanted to save the yeast after this to use in other brews but maybe the apple juice was just too acidic for this strain of yeast (reaching here)???

Would there be any harm done if i pitch the s-04? I am open to other suggestions as long as its not "give it a few months" lol

Don't add more yeast- if it's fermenting, there should be plenty of yeast. Maybe add more nutrient, and give it a good stir to degas it a bit and give it some oxygen and that should help it out. What is the temperature? Warming it up a bit within reason should also help.

OK, i will do that. the yeast nutrient i have says 1/2 tsp per gallon. SHould i give it a full does or just a bit?

Temp is steady at 68

OK, i will do that. the yeast nutrient i have says 1/2 tsp per gallon. SHould i give it a full does or just a bit?

Temp is steady at 68

A full dose is fine, but dissolve it in some of the cider first or else it'll "volcano" on you! Stir it first, to get rid of some of the co2 in there and it should foam up a little, then stir in the nutrient. Stir several times per day for a day or two, and that should help.

Try a few spoons then observe. You might get a bit of a gusher. If that happens, just leave off the bung and lay a wet paper towel or two on top til it calms down. No big deal.

Did as you suggested and it was almost an instantaneous reaction. Started bubbling again real quick. That was actually going for a few days but has stopped. I took a gravity reading today and i am down to 1.025. Getting there. I am going to take another reading tomorrow to see whats going on but there is still krausen on top and the cider is still pretty cloudy, but its not bubbling really at all.

The last 2 batches of cider i made fermented out SO FAST compared to this (they were DONE in less than a week). However, those were not fermented in a temp controlled chamber. How long does it take for your ciders to finish? I am guessing the yeast is the culprit and maybe just not a good strain for the acidity of cider?? I dunno.

Each one seems to be different. I have had some ferment out in five days and others seem to struggle along. I have some now that is slow going and I am adding nutrients. Juice is not terribly low in sugar, but it may be low in nutrients for the yeast.

So you actually pitched a liquid yeast into a high gravity environment without making a starter? I didn't pick up on this until just now.

Back