Very silly concern about hydrometer readings though a spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkuchan

Reaction score
I have a very silly concern that has kept me from taking hydrometer readings with the spigot on the fermenter, so now I am going to bring it out and let people tell me how stupid it is so hopefully I won't be afraid anymore.

OK, so say I take a hydrometer reading through the fermenter's spigot, and then I let the fermenter sit for a few days (or more). When the spigot is used, a small amount of wort is left in the spigot, which will dry, and get icky and maybe attract bacteria, and when it comes time to bottle, all the beer will be running through that spigot. Eww.

Does my fear make sense or am I crazy?

You are right to be concerned. It could contaminate the beer going into the bottles.

Everyone does things differently, but you should ferment in a different container to your bottling bucket. When it is time to bottle, rack the beer off the trub into the bottling bucket into which you have put your priming sugar. Then bottle immediately from the bottling bucket.

I guess this is where a spray bottle of star-san would come in handy. Just spray up into the spigot until it drained clear. I have heard many people on here doing it that way. The question I have is how do you prevent your airlock from getting sucked dry when you do this?? If you remove enough liquid for a sample, you have to replace it with air from somewhere.

I have the short Midwest bucket & the older Cooper's Micro Brew fermenters, both with spigots. I just remove the airlock center piece, setting the cap back on until I take my hydrometer sample. Then replace the airlock center piece & top off if needed. Then spray Starsan up into the spout to clean & sanitize it. Nover any problems.:mug:

Back