Very Shallow Keg Cabinet Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
I currently have a Sanyo 4912 I built with a 2 tap tower. We are currently looking to build a bar enclosure. The plan was to recess into the wall behind the fridge because the space we are working with has an inconvenient depth of 18". We are hoping not to build a bar that sticks out of the area we are building.

Is there a good option out there in small fridge land with a depth or width under 18"? I am searching hard and coming up with nothing under 20".

Is there a well known model I should be looking into?

how thick is the wall behind the area you are planning to build this? Can you recess the space ? If it is a typical 2x4 construction there isn't going to be much room . If however the wall is what we in the building trades refer to as a "plumbing chase wall" it may be 2x6 or even 2x8 stud depth. You could tear into the wall and increase your depth from 2 -4 inches for your appliance by removing the studs you need room and replacing them with a smaller dimension stud .If you can do this make sure you install(sister) the new smaller stud to either stud left in place and install a new electrical outlet if its possible, then install new sheetrock ,corner bead, mud and tape as necessary.
I would be hard pressed to find any appliance with a depth smaller than 18 inches and still have enough storage with insulation requirements and air space required around the working elements.

I I I I Ilets say for now this is the wall you need to modify...those I's representing studs of what I will assume are 2x8 and you need to remove the 3 middle studs to accommodate your appliance.
II I I I II
Lets see what it will look like once you replace the middle studs with a smaller dimension stud like a 2x4.

You'll need to cut out the bottom plate to account for the loss of lumber ,maybe add flooring. The top plate should remain (especially if it is supporting) as is and sheetrock around it like you would a frameless doorway.

I I I I Ilets say for now this is the wall you need to modify...those I's representing studs of what I will assume are 2x8 and you need to remove the 3 middle studs to accommodate your appliance.
II I I I II
Lets see what it will look like once you replace the middle studs with a smaller dimension stud like a 2x4.

You'll need to cut out the bottom plate to account for the loss of lumber ,maybe add flooring. The top plate should remain (especially if it is supporting) as is and sheetrock around it like you would a frameless doorway.

Everything depends on several factors...
How Wide is the Adjoining Closet?
How wide is the Unit they want to install...If enough room I would have side Cabinets also.
Is the Adjoining closet Necessary? If Not remove completely..see below
Is the Wall a Load Bearing Wall? Very Few Load bearing walls have closets...and Rooms on the otherside.
I highly doubt that it is a Plumb Chase Wall...99% Chance just a 2x4 Wall.

If recessing the "cooler" I would recommend putting lower side cabinets abd some upper Cabinets over the unit for Storage or some Glass shelves...think Liqour Bottles/Glassware.

Latest posts

Back