very low specific gravity at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessAdre

Reaction score
Just finished brewing my very first batch ever -- from a basic kit I bought (for an Amber Ale). I don't have the information in front of me, but it was a really standard first timer kit where the instructions were the same regardless of which variety of beer you actually chose. Anyway, original gravity reading was normal -- somewhere around 1.05 (again, I don't have it in front of me). It fermented for about a week and a half and the final gravity reading was only about 1.005. I'm pretty sure this is too low, but it tasted pretty good, like beer just a little flat. We bottled it anyway, but I'm wondering if this will be a problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

Just finished brewing my very first batch ever -- from a basic kit I bought (for an Amber Ale). I don't have the information in front of me, but it was a really standard first timer kit where the instructions were the same regardless of which variety of beer you actually chose. Anyway, original gravity reading was normal -- somewhere around 1.05 (again, I don't have it in front of me). It fermented for about a week and a half and the final gravity reading was only about 1.005. I'm pretty sure this is too low, but it tasted pretty good, like beer just a little flat. We bottled it anyway, but I'm wondering if this will be a problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

Wow, that is quite low. As far as the beer tasting flat, no problem....it hasnt carbonated yet so that is supposed to taste flat. With regards to whether your gravity is "too low" what kind of beer is it?

No offense intended, but I'm guessing "operator error." But it really doesn't matter - there's nothing you can do about it except enjoy the beer you end up with. And you already said the taste was good, so cheers!

Most definitely operator error!! Just wondering what I might have done and what the implications for taste and alcohol content are that I might expect.

The recipe was for an amber ale. Well it seems I threw out the actual box of ingredients, but it was a premeasured bag of malt extract I think 6 lbs, cascade hop pellets, "aroma" hop pellets, American ale brewing yeast and when we bottled it we used 5oz of priming sugar. I'm sure that's not enough information to figure out what went wrong! The target OG was 1.045 and the final gravity should have been between 1.012 and 1.020.

I am planning to actually buy the ingredients separately and measure thrum next time so I have more control. I can't wait to try this beer even if it is weird!

The beer will be fine just a little drier than intended (if the reading is not operator error) and with more alcohol. If your fermentation temp was high that could lead to a better than average attenuation. Given that you used LME, and it's reputation for attenuation, I am betting on operator error however.

Thanks for the site! And I don't think the reading is wrong because we took two readings a few days apart, but who knows. I'll let ya know how it tastes!

Hey, this is part of the fun of brewing. Beer is a living thing after all, and sometimes it crosses you up. Tricksy little buggers, those yeasties. Enjoy!

Back