Very Long Boil for Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
Hello all,
I want to brew a Scottish Ale next, it will be my fist brew on my new system (17.5 gal pot, new turkey fryer). I have been doing 5 gal AG batches split between 2 brew kettles on my stove top.
I know that Traquiar House Ale is 100% Maris Otter, with the first runnings boiled for a VERY long time. I love that beer.
Here's my plan, and I'm wondering if it makes sense:
Mash for 30 min at 158, run off about 2.5 gallons, boil the crap out of it.
Continue mashing the rest for another 30 min.
Question #1) Will 30 min mash be enough for the first runnings?
2) how long should I boil first runnings?
3) what kind of boil off rate/gravity can I expect? Boiling down the first runnings from 2.5 to (my plan of) 1 gallon will obviously increase the gravity, if I continue to collect wort to get my full volume afterwords?

I realize most of these questions are dependent on my system, but any advise on brewing a extremely long/first runnings boil, or advise on using a new 10 gallon system, will be very appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think traquair has 1% roasted barley, or thereabouts and the rest golden promise. I've done the boil down the 1st runnings, did 2g to a syrup, worked nicely, but hard to determine post-boil SG. You're prob. Looking at approx 60% efficiency on a run like this, all depending on system. You can boil down while boiling the main wort, so you can do like 45 min before running off first runnings.

I do this a few times a year ( I love traqair house ale too)... because it's easy when you do 2.5g batches.

1.) 30 min? Can't say. You'll have to check for conversion. I'd recommend not pulling off anything until your normal mash time is complete: mash, pull off 2gal and boil on stove separate from brew setup. Sparge, boil, hop the rest of the wort as normal with your brew rig, Add the boiled down wort back in when the boil is finished.

2.) & 3.) i'll boil down a half gallon of first running in a shallow sauce pan, until its half its height. If its shallow, it doesn't take long and I run this separately and at the same time as the boil for the regular wort. For 2 gallons, this isn't as simple, I suppose. If you could pull of a separate boil setup, stove top or otherwise, I'd recommend that. If you can't and must do the separate boils on the same cooker, you should check for conversion and then pull some first runnings.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but good luck.

Definitely helpful. I'll be pulling off some to boil on the stove, probably after 45 min mash, mash the rest for 15, run off and boil alongside. Heck, why not split the first runnings into 2 small pots on the stove, maximize caramelization.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

boiling the first running is amazing in terms of the results. I recommend it. My last wee heavy was maybe my best beer, certainly in the top 5

Back