Very high Cohumulone and Colupulone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
Question. I had some heirloom hops tested last week at KAR labs just for simple acids. I believe the 'mother plant' to be 50 to 100 yrs old and probably Cluster because that's what everybody grew up here pretty much.

So, heres my question. The heirlooms have always been TWICE the size and TWICE as citrus aroma/odor. SUPER citrus I call it, crazy. However, when tested I did not expect the levels to be so high. 42.7 Cohumulone and 65% colupulone. The alphas are 4.6 and total betas 3.35 . So its not a bittering. I kinda expected that anyway but is this stuff going to have horrible after taste or off tastes?

Will I know, say making a small batch of tea and comparing to say my Cascades? With similar Alpha and betas? But my Cascades have 35.5% cohumulones tested last year.

I don't see much info on these colupulone information? at 65% that's crazy high. Is that the citrus aroma coming from?

So should I just make a batch of brew and see what happens ? How much will a tea tell me?

Oh and the yield of this heirloom "S" I call it is double anything here except the Centennials, about the same as those.

Thanks

Could be a Canadian Redvine? When I lived up in the Finger Lakes I ran into a fellow near Syracuse who gave me a few cuttings but could find no information about it. On a trip to Oregon, I spoke to Al Haunold who was working at the USDA farm in Corvallis at the time. He told me that they grew quite a bit of them in PNW but were replaced by other varieties so I sent him a few rhizomes which he confirmed that they actually were CRV. Check out the numbers on some of the hops listed here: https://www.freshops.com/hops/usda-named-hop-variety-descriptions

The citrus character is brought on by a combination of a few oil components like limonene, nerol, citral, etc.. And, the whole cohumulone debate is being looked at in a different way by the brewing science community recently as new information continues to be discovered about hop oil chemistry. I wouldn't let it bother you and I don't think making a tea will tell you much as you could probably make teas with all the different varieties you grow and they'd all taste really bitter.

edit; I found the analysis I had done and shows the CRV coh value right in line with the stated values.

haunold hop analysis 2.jpeg

THanks for the tidbit of info. I'll keep that in mind. Guess we'll just let the 6 transplants take off next season and make a brew with them and see how it tastes.

Back