[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't remember if you got your meters used or new, but one of the presumably used meters I received from nvhassani did that, until I hooked it up to the hot water faucet and gently ran hot water through it for a few minutes (note the gently part - don't test the limits by blasting, let the heat do its thing).

It's been working fine ever since. Might be worth trying.

Give the hot water treatment a try...

Cheers!

Yes that is where I got them, supposedly new, but will give it a try tonight. I have to re-open my project box anyway as my proximity sensor is not working. Pin 26 for the data on the GPIO correct? I know I have the right row just need to check the diagram pin orientation. Do you remember if that was the inside or outside pin coming through the AlaMode board?

I am not sure if this has been covered in this thread, but has anyone used an NFC or RFID reader to log users? Keeping track of how much they pour, what, and when?

Yes. I'm working on this for a future release.

I've got the rfid reader reading and recording pours for users. It also posts to untappd for the user.

I haven't worked out how to add the rfid Id per user. It's still a manual process but the rfid reader is attached to the alamode like the flow meters.

Yes that is where I got them, supposedly new, but will give it a try tonight. I have to re-open my project box anyway as my proximity sensor is not working. Pin 26 for the data on the GPIO correct? I know I have the right row just need to check the diagram pin orientation. Do you remember if that was the inside or outside pin coming through the AlaMode board?

Pin 26/Gpio7 is correct and is the corner pin near the board edge (I guess that means "outside"?)

Cheers!

I've got the rfid reader reading and recording pours for users. It also posts to untappd for the user.

I haven't worked out how to add the rfid Id per user. It's still a manual process but the rfid reader is attached to the alamode like the flow meters.

The untapped feature sounds awesome! Can you make it comment how many oz's were poured?

Little problem that really bug me:mad:.
I used to connect from my pc onto the pi via "mobaXterm" and "winscp".
For the last week or so I get error messages on both.
My pi is connected to the internet via WiFi.
Installed the same on another pc and same problem.
Any help will be great.

Capture.PNG

Little problem that really bug me:mad:.
I used to connect from my pc onto the pi via "mobaXterm" and "winscp".
For the last week or so I get error messages on both.
My pi is connected to the internet via WiFi.
Installed the same on another pc and same problem.
Any help will be great.

Silly question, have you tried rebooting?

Also can you hook a keyboard and monitor to it and log in that way?

Silly question, have you tried rebooting?

Also can you hook a keyboard and monitor to it and log in that way?
:) Yes and yes. Just easier to update everything from my pc and run checks on the temp probes.I'm running the pints through 192.168.x.x and not localhost on the pi and that still work but does not allow log in from pc.The link to the pi(192.168.x.x) on my pc give me a error of "unable to connect" in my browser. :mad: Can't excess it from the web as well(website)

:) Yes and yes. Just easier to update everything from my pc and run checks on the temp probes.I'm running the pints through 192.168.x.x and not localhost on the pi and that still work but does not allow log in from pc.The link to the pi(192.168.x.x) on my pc give me a error of "unable to connect" in my browser. :mad: Can't excess it from the web as well(website)

Sounds like the pi's network connection is broke. I would log into it with a keyboard and try to ping your pc.

I actually did a little happy dance when I read this - true story! Excited to see this one released at some point!

I am having a display issue, I did everything through step 8 with no issues. When I hook up the Alamode and the flow meter and power up to start step 9 I get all the boot up lines showing on the display, but when boot up is done I dont get any display on monitor. If I log into the RPi IP address it shows Raspberry Pints loaded up with all the sample data showing. Any ideas on why the monitor wont display? I powered off and on to see if that would do it but it came up the same way. Thanks.

UPDATE: It does the same thing when I remove the Alamode and reboot

The only thing I can think of is an error in the LXDE autostart file done in Step 5.

Code:
$ sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@chromium --kiosk localhost

Note the double-dash in the last line!

Cheers!

I am having a display issue, I did everything through step 8 with no issues. When I hook up the Alamode and the flow meter and power up to start step 9 I get all the boot up lines showing on the display, but when boot up is done I dont get any display on monitor. If I log into the RPi IP address it shows Raspberry Pints loaded up with all the sample data showing. Any ideas on why the monitor wont display? I powered off and on to see if that would do it but it came up the same way. Thanks.

UPDATE: It does the same thing when I remove the Alamode and reboot

Not sure what is going on but a couple of reboots and reinserting the SD Card made the display come alive again. It seems a little flakey so I might have some connection issue somewhere, but for now it is booting up and displying.

Pin 26/Gpio7 is correct and is the corner pin near the board edge (I guess that means "outside"?)

Cheers!

Good news the proximity sensor upgrade works like a champ! Now to check the meters. The two I checked registered no flow updates and the meters run off the same power source as the sensor. So at this point I do not know if the hot water fixed the high reading meter. Ah well back to troubleshooting.
Thanks again for your time and insight.
Mike

fwiw, I found you can blow through the meters as a go/no-go basic test.

If you stop the flowmon service

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop

and run flow_monitor.py in an xterm

Code:
$ sudo python /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py

if the AlaMode sees a pour it will post the pour record in the xterm window, with the pin number and tick count.

You can test the meters pretty quickly this way...

Cheers!

I just received a response from Swiss Flow about volume discounts. Here is their response, I have also linked to the two files the referenced in their email in case anyone wanted to see them.

Anyone have an idea of how many they would like? I know I want 5. Just to give them some kind of ball park figure.

Dear Mr Coutts,

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in our product.
Due to holidays our office was closed on Thursday and Friday, our apologies for the delayed response.

In the attachment I have enclosed our brochure and a powerpoint presentation briefly explaining the working principle of the SF800. Should you have any questions after reading it, don't hesitate to ask.

In order to best assist you, could you tell a little about your project and/or intended application for the SF800? Perhaps we can provide you with more technical and application specific information.

Regarding your question for volume discounts: as we mainly deal with OEM who purchase our flowmeters in large quantities, it is indeed possible to purchase our SF800 in bulk with a discount. What kind of quantities are you interested in?

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
--
Thomas van Wezel
SwissFlow B.V.

Fazantlaan 4
6026 SN Maarheeze
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 495 548848
Fax: +31 495 548828

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43146836/Swissflow pres origineel.pps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43146836/DL_brochure.pdf

Strange items. I got home from Post Work Therapy (drinks & dinner) and went to pour a pint when I got home. Blew the keg, got into admin, kicked the keg, tapped a keg that was conditioning, and poured a pint. It incremented via the meter where yesterday two other taps would not increment. Not a good night to troubleshoot, shots for desert, but will check the other taps tomorrow. Confused over why some increment and others do not when all data lines to the AlaMode board are good and the gnd. & Vcc lines are bussed. Confused and will drink my beer....
;-)
Mike

Being methodical - while sober - will reveal all.

I barely remember the first week of the 2.0 release, what with all the pour testing.
It turns out it doesn't matter if you pour 48 ounces in four pulls or 20 pulls, it's still gonna kick your ass...

Cheers! ;)

I barely remember the first week of the 2.0 release, what with all the pour testing.
It turns out it doesn't matter if you pour 48 ounces in four pulls or 20 pulls, it's still gonna kick your ass...

Cheers! ;)

Cool Bro! I still think it strange that 24 hours after update/changes things work when they didn't the previous day and only the cat was at home while you were at work....
However I still need to check tap 8 that got the hot water treatment.

Hello everyone,

Who is all still looking for flow meters?

I have been working with Thomas at swissflow.com and he was grateful enough to provide me with a couple options. You are welcome to do a group buy like I see @chemman14 is trying to put together, however what I am looking to do is provide more of a long term solution so our users do not need to wait on a group buy and rather I can have them on hand and sell them via our website. Please PM me so I can get a count going on what our original buy in would look like.

Hello everyone,

Who is all still looking for flow meters?

I have been working with Thomas at swissflow.com and he was grateful enough to provide me with a couple options. You are welcome to do a group buy like I see @chemman14 is trying to put together, however what I am looking to do is provide more of a long term solution so our users do not need to wait on a group buy and rather I can have them on hand and sell them via our website. Please PM me so I can get a count going on what our original buy in would look like.

That explains this response then.

Dear Mr Coutts,

Thank you for your understanding and for explaining the application.

We've been contacted by another individual associated with the RaspberryPints project, perhaps you can join forces? If you are interested, I can try to get you into contact with each other.

If there is anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

PS the SF800 is indeed food-safe

Would you be offering any type of discount vs the priced offered by SwissFlow? I would like 5 but cant really justify the $320 price tag for them.

@chemman14
YESSSSS thats why I want to do it otherwise I would not mess with the hassle. I need to see how much interest there is then I can order and pass along the savings plus buy extra at the lower rate for future users or when you add on taps to your setup ;).

@chemman14
YESSSSS thats why I want to do it otherwise I would not mess with the hassle. I need to see how much interest there is then I can order and pass along the savings plus buy extra at the lower rate for future users or when you add on taps to your setup ;).

well count me in for 5 then!

An explanation of the way I have the RFID and the untappd integration working....

On my rpints setup, I have 4 taps with flow meters. These are hooked up to my alamode and pi. In addition, I have a 5th "device", a simple RFID reader that is hooked up to the alamode as well.

The user swipes their rfid fob in front of the reader and then pours a glass of the beer they want.

The system then updates, puts the user ID, amount poured and beer poured in to the pours table and then refreshes the screen.
At the time it puts the info in the table, it then updates untappd using the untappd API.

You can see the feed at: https://untappd.com/SkyPainterBrewing
which is my brewery's untappd page. Anything that says poured with love by @raspberrypints was poured through the rpints system.

To add a user at the moment, I have to kill the rpints monitor, launch a serial connection on the pi to read the input from the rfid and read the code off of the fob. Then I manually enter it in to the database, restart the flow monitor and the user is set.

Its a PITA to add a user with a fob at the moment. Its also a PITA to link the user on the rpints site to the untappd site.

If I can work out adding the user and RFID Fob and linking to Untappd I'd release a "beta" version of this code....

It truly is a thing of beauty when I pour a pint and I get a twitter notification that @mcangeli mentioned @skypainterbrewing on twitter.

The message could be changed to whatever you want.... at the moment, thats hardset in the code, the only thing that changes is the user and the beer, but that could be set in a database field and made updateable.

Mind you, this is all down the road.

There are other things that we put off to get out the flow meter release that I *should* be working on... hope to get a chance soon, a V2.5 should be out sometime before 2016 ;)

An explanation of the way I have the RFID and the untappd integration working....

On my rpints setup, I have 4 taps with flow meters. These are hooked up to my alamode and pi. In addition, I have a 5th "device", a simple RFID reader that is hooked up to the alamode as well.

The user swipes their rfid fob in front of the reader and then pours a glass of the beer they want.

The system then updates, puts the user ID, amount poured and beer poured in to the pours table and then refreshes the screen.
At the time it puts the info in the table, it then updates untappd using the untappd API.

which is my brewery's untappd page. Anything that says poured with love by @raspberrypints was poured through the rpints system.

To add a user at the moment, I have to kill the rpints monitor, launch a serial connection on the pi to read the input from the rfid and read the code off of the fob. Then I manually enter it in to the database, restart the flow monitor and the user is set.

Its a PITA to add a user with a fob at the moment. Its also a PITA to link the user on the rpints site to the untappd site.

If I can work out adding the user and RFID Fob and linking to Untappd I'd release a "beta" version of this code....

It truly is a thing of beauty when I pour a pint and I get a twitter notification that @mcangeli mentioned @skypainterbrewing on twitter.

The message could be changed to whatever you want.... at the moment, thats hardset in the code, the only thing that changes is the user and the beer, but that could be set in a database field and made updateable.

There are other things that we put off to get out the flow meter release that I *should* be working on... hope to get a chance soon, a V2.5 should be out sometime before 2016 ;)

That is REALLY cool! I hope you can get the kinks worked out!

Cheers! ;)

Well the taps seem to be incrementing fine, but the hot water fix did not work on the tap 8 flow meter, it still reads high. I guess I have a bad meter. Thanks for the advice on a possible fix day_trippr, it was appreciated.

Update: This is my eBay seller response:
Try cleaning the inside by taking the john connectors off. I would try using those air dust canisters. That's all I can do as I'm completely sold out and can't provide any replacements. I think I only ran the hot water in the normal flow direction.

[...]It truly is a thing of beauty when I pour a pint and I get a twitter notification that @mcangeli mentioned @skypainterbrewing on twitter.

I don't get the whole untappd thing, but I can still admire a cool effort.

For the unregistered rfid user thing...if the RPi sees a new rfid could it jump to a template screen that would allow the particulars to be added and have the local and untappd registration then be done by canned scripting?

[...]a V2.5 should be out sometime before 2016 ;)

Don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Cheers! ;)

If you do get something going and need a test person or two, I would volunteer and i bet my neighbor would as well - we both thought it would be awesome to have this functionality when version 1 was released (been talking about it ever since!) so we have been looking forward to it for a while. 😄

***Update***​
Right now the discount is minimal and I am continuing to work on options for flow meters. The Original price is $60 per meter and $20 shipping. I have it so I can get them at $58 per meter and shipping will be $8. Like I said I am working on other options but wanted to share the current state!!

***Update***​
Right now the discount is minimal and I am continuing to work on options for flow meters. The Original price is $60 per meter and $20 shipping. I have it so I can get them at $58 per meter and shipping will be $8. Like I said I am working on other options but wanted to share the current state!!

Thanks for the update!

If you do get something going and need a test person or two, I would volunteer and i bet my neighbor would as well - we both thought it would be awesome to have this functionality when version 1 was released (been talking about it ever since!) so we have been looking forward to it for a while. 😄

As the neighbor, I agree. I need to get almfamily an rfid so I know how much of my beer he drinks when I'm gone on vacation and he helps watch my dogs! Can we get it so you can't pour without an rfid? :)

***Update***​

Well, a $14 per discount is not a bad start. It may not hurt to talk with the beerbot people as well though. Since their current meter is selling for about $80 per. May be able to get the presale count up more enough to give at least a couple dollars more.

I am kinda glad I bought double what I needed when they were still cheap on refurbs. Probably going to expand my erator by a couple taps still.

Im a little confused I order the Swiss flow SF800 and they came in with very short connection wire approximately 5" and when I look at all that posted it looks like 6 feet is there more to the story?

Im a little confused I order the Swiss flow SF800 and they came in with very short connection wire approximately 5" and when I look at all that posted it looks like 6 feet is there more to the story?

Did you order them from the guy on ebay or another source?

Straight from Swiss flow the link on the with flow pi. This is what I received today any fixes? I pretty sure someone else has had this problem.

20141120_145343.jpg

Back