VERMONT ALE - The Yeast Bay - Starter from prior batch harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandbekah

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Trying to determine if its worth my time and DME to try to build up a starter from my prior batch for Vermont Ale from the Yeast Bay.

I last brewed with it in middle of January (this year) and harvested some of the yeast from the previous starter (approx. 500 ml).

Wondering what everyone's experience has been trying to build up this delicious strain after a few months sitting in the fridge. I have read in the past if its not being used in two or three weeks (liquid yeast strains in general) then toss it. But considering what it costs (plus shipping) I was hoping with ample time (brew day is 2 weeks plus out) I could whip up a nice big starter again.

Cheers!

I have made a starter from an unused vial that was few months old and it worked out well. Make sure to add yeast nutrient and give it an extra day or two before you give up on it. It should work out just fine

I have made a starter from an unused vial that was few months old and it worked out well. Make sure to add yeast nutrient and give it an extra day or two before you give up on it. It should work out just fine

Okay awesome - what yeast nutrient did you use?

It just says yeast nutrient. I believe it has spring cells and diamoniam phosphate. I used up the last of it and didn't see the bottle... Sorry about that

I've build up that yeast from harvests that were months old before. Just give it some extra time, nutrients, and maybe do it in two steps (low OG, then normal OG) to not stress it. Worked fine. Get a couple generations on the strain, it starts to come into it's own at that point.

I've build up that yeast from harvests that were months old before. Just give it some extra time, nutrients, and maybe do it in two steps (low OG, then normal OG) to not stress it. Worked fine. Get a couple generations on the strain, it starts to come into it's own at that point.

Okay that's what I like to hear... when you say low OG - I usually follow the 1L to 100G ratio (usually comes out around 1.04 OG) - did you go any lower than that for OG?

If you're trying to be nice to it start at like 1.02-1.03 and let it wake up and ferment through that. Then let it settle, decant, and add in a bunch of the normal 1.04 starter wort and let it build up like normal.

I've done both the above, and just thrown it right into a 1.04 starter. Both work, but it seemed happier with the two step after being dormant in my fridge for months.

If you're trying to be nice to it start at like 1.02-1.03 and let it wake up and ferment through that. Then let it settle, decant, and add in a bunch of the normal 1.04 starter wort and let it build up like normal.

I've done both the above, and just thrown it right into a 1.04 starter. Both work, but it seemed happier with the two step after being dormant in my fridge for months.

Alright excellent, I'll try that, much appreciated!

Back