Bottling Beer from a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 3 different brews that I put into kegs and have on tap. I would like to take a few of them to a local competition and was wondering if I put into bottles and added a little sugar so it would carbonate/keep its carbonation if that would effect the flavor of the beer in any way?

The competition will be at the end of August

Thanks for the help!

Don't add any sugar. If it's already on tap, that means it's already carbed and probably nice and clear. There won't be enough yeast left to consume the priming sugar and you'll end up too sweet. Just bump up the pressure on the beer you want to enter in the competition and over carb it a little. When you bottle from the keg, you'll lose a little carbonation while dispensing and a little more if you leave some headspace in the bottle. By over carbing, you'll compensate for this. Do a search for bottling from kegs/taps for tips and tricks.

I found the "we don't need no stinking beer gun" method far too complicated. Just jam a 1-foot length of beverage tubing into your tap and turn the pressure down a few psi. Helps to keep the bottles ice cold, like literally in an ice bath while you pour. If your tubing doesn't fit, just shave off a chamfer on the edge.

BBL_Brewer said:
Don't add any sugar. If it's already on tap, that means it's already carbed and probably nice and clear. There won't be enough yeast left to consume the priming sugar and you'll end up too sweet. Just bump up the pressure on the beer you want to enter in the competition and over carb it a little. When you bottle from the keg, you'll lose a little carbonation while dispensing and a little more if you leave some headspace in the bottle. By over carbing, you'll compensate for this. Do a search for bottling from kegs/taps for tips and tricks.

Great point about over carbonating a bit beforehand. How much seems to work? Like +2 psi?

Great point about over carbonating a bit beforehand. How much seems to work? Like +2 psi?

Yeah, 2-4 psi should work ok. Kind of depends on how long you let it carb and how you bottle it. The better your technique, the less carbonation you'll lose.

BBL_Brewer said:
Yeah, 2-4 psi should work ok. Kind of depends on how long you let it carb and how you bottle it. The better your technique, the less carbonation you'll lose.

I'm sure the amount of carbonation lost to the bottle is calculable. Maybe I'll post a new thread. :)

I got a question.

If you bottle from a cold keg, can you let the bottled beer warm back up to room temp and store it?

I'm thinking about brewing some high gravity beers and don't want to take up the space in my kegerator with something I'm only gonna drink on occasion. Plus I like to bottle samples for my co-workers to try.

pb --- a kegger kinda guy:mug:

If you bottle off of a keg do a test bottle first. I had a southern english brown at about 1.5 -2 volumes and bumped it up 2psi for bottling and it was overcarbed. Not so much of a problem with higher carbed beers

I got a question.

If you bottle from a cold keg, can you let the bottled beer warm back up to room temp and store it?

I'm thinking about brewing some high gravity beers and don't want to take up the space in my kegerator with something I'm only gonna drink on occasion. Plus I like to bottle samples for my co-workers to try.

pb --- a kegger kinda guy:mug:

Yes. Once bottled, you can store it at whatever temperature you want- just like when you buy bottled beer from the store.

It's an expensive route but at counter pressure filler works Too. I use one from time to time esp. When I want to take like a 12 pack or more with me somewhere. I have never entered into a competition before but I'm sure it would work great

IMO I like my beer good an carbed so after I take the bottles out of the fridge I always add a pinch of corn sugar to each bottle just to make sure...never had any problems

IMO I like my beer good an carbed so after I take the bottles out of the fridge I always add a pinch of corn sugar to each bottle just to make sure...never had any problems

You open the beer, which is carbed up, to add sugar to it?

I'm trying to picture what you mean. Beer is very much like soda, in that once it's carbed up it stays carbed up. Until you open it. Once you open it, the co2 goes out and the beer goes flat. If you open it to add sugar, it should release c02 and go flat, as well as foam up when sugar is added. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this.

You open the beer, which is carbed up, to add sugar to it?

I'm trying to picture what you mean. Beer is very much like soda, in that once it's carbed up it stays carbed up. Until you open it. Once you open it, the co2 goes out and the beer goes flat. If you open it to add sugar, it should release c02 and go flat, as well as foam up when sugar is added. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this.

No. Sorry that's on me I didn't explain well.

When I'm filling my bottles from the keg (yes beer is carbed) but I always add a pinch of corn sugar just to ensure carbing down the road. Most beers for me I like them around 3volums 2.8... Right around that.. When u fill from the keg u lose a little bit of carbonation, so I simply fix that with the pinch of sugar...

Bostonbrewin63 said:
No. Sorry that's on me I didn't explain well.

When I'm filling my bottles from the keg (yes beer is carbed) but I always add a pinch of corn sugar just to ensure carbing down the road. Most beers for me I like them around 3volums 2.8... Right around that.. When u fill from the keg u lose a little bit of carbonation, so I simply fix that with the pinch of sugar...

I'm pretty new and don't want to step on anyone's toes but isn't the yeast pretty dormant after you keg it, I'm not saying is all inactive but is there enough to make up for the lost co2?

Back