Varying carbonation in bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I've been bottling beer off and on for a long time and I've never had this issue before...
I made a triple decoction kolsch and bottled it. The first 12 we're totally fine but the next 12 I've put in the fridge half of them were hardly carbonated so I was chalking it up to a bad seal from the capper. It happens. However one I opened was way over carbonated to the point where I had to dump it. Not really sure how some can be barely carbonated then some are way over carbonated other than a bad mix of the priming solution or an infection. I leave the bottles in the fridge for weeks to clear up and absorb the c02 and i also let them bottle condition for 3-4 weeks at 70 degrees before putting them in the fridge.

I cold crashed the beer for a few days then racked the beer on top of the priming solution like I have always done. I'm really not sure where the issue lies but I've bottled a bunch of beer since this batch so now I'm worried all my bottled beer will turn out like this. Hopefully it'll be all be fine but it was pretty surprising since I've done this a million times with no issues.

Over/Under carbing issues can come from priming solution that isn’t mixed enough. Racking beer on to the solution, which you do, is the best way but it can use further stirring. Priming solution needs to be mixed well or you can have issues like to listed. Oxidation is your enemy here.

One other solution is to use the premade sugar tablets or carbonation drops. They’re more expensive but they are equal portioned and worked well for me. Less oxidation since you don’t have to wrack from fermenter at all.

Always consider infections with over carbed bottles, or fermentation’s that were finished. If you’ve got over carbed and under carbed in the same batch, that screams priming sugar mixture to me.

Over/Under carbing issues can come from priming solution that isn’t mixed enough. Racking beer on to the solution, which you do, is the best way but it can use further stirring. Priming solution needs to be mixed well or you can have issues like to listed. Oxidation is your enemy here.

One other solution is to use the premade sugar tablets or carbonation drops. They’re more expensive but they are equal portioned and worked well for me. Less oxidation since you don’t have to wrack from fermenter at all.

Always consider infections with over carbed bottles, or fermentation’s that were finished. If you’ve got over carbed and under carbed in the same batch, that screams priming sugar mixture to me.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll scoop some priming tabs next time I do a lhbs run, thanks for that idea.

I have to agree with you. I'll have to gently make sure it mixes well next time I guess. Hopefully it mixed well on the other 3 batches I bottled.

How much water do you normally use when you bottle this way? I normally do 2 cups for a 5 gallon batch and 1 cup for half batch. It always was enough and didn't seem to water the beer down or affect the FG really at all. I remember everyone being all over the place with how much to use. Some said just enough to dilute the sugar and some are like me; up to 2 cups. Never been brave enough to mess with it since the 2 cups has always worked and I assumed more volume would spread the sugar better in the beer.

I think you're right that it was just not mixed well. They'd all foam over if it was an infection unless just that one bottle was improperly cleaned.
The two cups of liquid (beer or water) makes it easier to distribute throughout since it's a thinner, less concentrated liquid.

I dont bottle much but I have a little process. I make my solution then add some to the bottling bucket. I start transferring the beer when its about half way I add more priming solution , then more when its about 3/4 . Once transfer is complete I gently swirl .

I dont bottle much but I have a little process. I make my solution then add some to the bottling bucket. I start transferring the beer when its about half way I add more priming solution , then more when its about 3/4 . Once transfer is complete I gently swirl .
I think I'm going to start doing this. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back