Vanilla question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden512

Reaction score
Recently brewed a stout I've done a few times. Scraped vanilla beans and soaked them in vodka since the day I brewed. Primary fermentation was done so I dumped them in yesterday after about 2.5 weeks. Was wondering if there's any benefit from them sitting on em for awhile. I pretty much made my own extract and sucked all the flavor into the vodka so wouldn't I be fine letting it sit for just a few days and then kegging it or would I get more flavor the longer it stays in the carboy?

Vanilla is one of those things that loses potency with time. Like you said, you basically made an extract ahead of time. After a few days feel free to keg and enjoy.

Any downside to not allowing vanilla beans to soak for a long period of time? I've been curious to the difference between a 1+week soak vs a 24hr soak. I would assume the shorter time wouldn't produce an extract but enough to sterilize beans for free dumping w/o vodka/spirit tincture

Back