Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
Ok. I attempted my first AG batch. Right before I bottled I was surprised by how good it taste. After two to three weeks of carbonation. I popped one open and it tasted kind of sour. Taste completely different from before. I noticed a bunch of yeast in the bottom of the glass. I used liquid yeast. Did I just not syphon it correct when I bottled? I am OCD about cleaning and sanitizing so I know it couldn't be that. I am just dumbfounded by the bad taste. Can too much yeast alter the flavor?Any suggestions?

Too much yeast certainly can create off flavors, especially if the beer sat in the fermenter too long on top of the yeast bed. That is not to say that is what created the sour taste, however. Allow the porter to age. Most porters take quite a long time to reach peak flavor. I once had one from the Alaskan brewing company that was 3 years old and was one of the best beers I have ever had. Be patient and wait a month or 2.

Latest posts

Back