Vanilla Java Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
Playing around with the Atwater and the Everett Porter recipes I've seen floating around. Doing the vanilla java because a friend's wife is now digging beer and they want to brew with me. I'll add the vanilla and cold brew coffee in the secondary.

Your feedback will help us spread the beer gospel to wives all around.

This is a 10 gal partial mash.

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 39.1 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)Grain3 6.5 %
1 lbs Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.3 %
8 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 7 34.8 %
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 minHop 8 37.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

1.066 SG
37.5 IBU
35.1 SRM
6.3% abv

Here are some notes on what I'm after:

A sweeter, full body with subtle vanilla and coffee notes. I'll mash at a higher temp of course and pitch the cold brewed coffee and vanilla extract (I have some straight from the DR) a week or so before kegging. Here I'm mostly interested in feedback on the porter grain profile.

Thanks for your help!

Seems like an awful lot of of fermentables to only achieve that SG of 1.066. Sounds like a good beer though and I always love i when friends get into the hobby too.

Seems like an awful lot of of fermentables to only achieve that SG of 1.066. Sounds like a good beer though and I always love i when friends get into the hobby too.

Well it was dialed beersmith for 10 gal.

Well it was dialed up in beersmith for 10 gal.

Playing around with the Atwater and the Everett Porter recipes I've seen floating around. Doing the vanilla java because a friend's wife is now digging beer and they want to brew with me. I'll add the vanilla and cold brew coffee in the secondary.

Did you brew this yet?

Thanks,
Cody

Back