Vanilla Bourbon Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerock

Reaction score
Hey guys I am in the process of brewing and oatmeal stout. I want to make it a vanilla bourbon oatmeal stout. When do you think I should add the vanilla and bourbon? I have read about multiple ways to do it. I was thinking of soaking the vanilla beans in the bourbon and then adding to the secondary. Think that's the best way? I want the flavors of each to be noticeable; how much of each do you think I would need?

I'd add both during secondary (if you do one) or prior to bottling. Some will boil the vanilla beans, but you can also "extract" vanilla with bourbon or other spirits (e.g. vodka). My reasoning for adding at the end is you can add to taste. This is obviously much harder to anticipate prior to fermentation.

Soaking in bourbon should essentailly make a bourbon vanilla extract. Rather than age in secondary you could pour yourself 12 oz of the beer and add the extract until you get to the flavor you want and then add that amount to the individual bottles.

I'd think 2 vanilla beans would be sufficient. More, in my mind, might be bordering on too much vanilla.

Thanks guys! PLOVE, I dont always use a secondary just thought it might be best to add the flavors at that point. Ok to add to in the primary and let it sit for a bit then bottle?

I would use three vanilla beans. Last time I used two vanilla beans soaked for two weeks in Irish whiskey (although I think you'd want to use bourbon or the name "vanilla bourbon oatmeal stout" would get a bit odd) and I didn't think the vanilla flavor was strong enough. Then again, everyone's taste is different. I added the vanilla beans into the primary after the fermentation had finished.

worlddivides, how much whiskey did you use? And yes, I'll be using bourbon. I am thinking that I will soak the vanilla beans and just add the whole thing to the secondary.

Back