Vanilla beans versus extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1036

Reaction score
I'm looking to add vanilla to a bourbon porter, but I don't know whether to add it in the form of extract or bean. Anyone out there have any opinion on the matter? The beer is already in secondary.

I'm also curious if people have had success adding vanilla beans at the end of the boil? I've read that keeps possible infection at bay but you lose a little flavor in the process.

Thanks!

I've only added the extract. I usually do it in my bottling bucket. 3-4 OSS for a 5 gallon batch. I have wanted to try the bean so would be curious to how it differs.

I've done it both ways and I prefer beans over extract. I find the vanilla taste is a bit more smooth sooner in the process. Using extract tastes a little 'sharper' to me, but it eventually mellows out. I have an imperial brown ale that I make with vanilla. I used 2.5 beans per 5 gallons (I make 10 gallons at a time and split ferment). Soaked them in a couple test tubes of rum to sanitize them and extract the vanilla flavor. Pitched them (and the rum) in the fermenter after primary fermentation subsided (a few days). I also pitched a cup of rum soaked oak chips in one batch. Both are quite tasty.

I just did a Black America Ale... I soaked 2 vanilla beans (split, scraped and chopped into .5" pieces)and 4oz of cacao nibs in about 4oz of Silver Tequila until there was no liquid left in the jar then added it to my hop bag with my 7oz of dry hop pellets. I could have used 3 beans, but only wanted a hint of vanilla and cacao to offset the fruitiness of the hops.

I just added 5 beans, chopped not scraped and soaked in bourbon for a week to my porter. Put it all in the bottom of a secondary and racked the porter on top of it all.

Just prepped my beans for their bourbon soak. Going to be adding these to my stout I am boiling tomorrow, the beans will hit secondary. I prefer the beans over the extract. Definitely a better taste.

I did a Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Porter for the holidays. 5 Vanilla Beans and 4oz of Cacao Nibs soaked for 2 weeks in 150ml of Vanilla Vodka. The Porter was racked onto this in the keg. Big vanilla nose, but very subdued vanilla taste with a great chocolate and coffee taste.

I just added 5 beans, chopped not scraped and soaked in bourbon for a week to my porter. Put it all in the bottom of a secondary and racked the porter on top of it all.

Scraping them releases more of their flavor and aroma. If you wanted just a slight amount of both, then just chopping them is perfectly fine.

Back