Valve Leaks on Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
Alright so I filled my pot up today to do a fake run with my new setup and my valve has a slow drip. I tried extra plumbers tape, I tried a silicone O-ring that the manufacturer provided and it just squishes out to the sides and doesn't make a seal when I tighten the valve to the pot.

Any ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FERHQS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is leaking at the valve and the first fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you putting the O-ring inside or outside the kettle? I have found it works better inside, using the outer locking nut to compress the O-ring against the inside of the kettle to make a seal.

I managed to get it to not leak, 5 layers of plumbers tape later.

The O-rings are on the inside. what a pain that was.

I got a weldless kit from Northern Brewer and I couldn't get it to stop leaking until I completely disregarded their instructions. They wanted me to put an O-ring on each side of the kettle, and "finger tighten" the whole thing - no hex nut on the inside of the kettle. Obviously that's not going to work because it will wiggle around like a mofo when you work the ball valve. They sent me some replacement parts saying that I must have defective pieces, so I used the extra lock nut and one o-ring on the inside, and a lock nut on the outside, and just tightened the hell out of it with a pair of wrenches. Now it works great.

Actually an extremely, Common problem. Solved my as other have said by completely disregarding the instruction. For me the solution has always been ...Gasket on the outside, washer on the inside. An Yes plenty of silicone tap on the threads....five layers you said, wow:rockin:

I know over-tightening those silicone washers can be as big of a problem as under-tightening them sometimes. You don't want to squish them too much.

truth to that I just did four pots with weldless ball valves and did not tighten more the hand tight not a one leaked

S_M

but the nuts had a groove for the o-ring

To prevent leaks with Teflon tape, always wrap clockwise around threads. The first few threads are the most important. Wrap stainless 5 rotations and brass 3.

Back