Completely new to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkerbi

Reaction score
I am completely new to all of this, have never done it before but am really interested in learning how to brew my own beer or make my own wine. I want to make light, summer ales with more fruity flavors or winter ales with spice flavors and little to no bitterness. I don't really want to buy a kit so what would i need from like Lowes or something to get started? Thanks in advance for any help!

Are you looking to test the waters and do extract beers or are you looking to jump on with both feet and do all grain? This will affect what you need to buy.

bkerbi said:
I am completely new to all of this, have never done it before but am really interested in learning how to brew my own beer or make my own wine. I want to make light, summer ales with more fruity flavors or winter ales with spice flavors and little to no bitterness. I don't really want to buy a kit so what would i need from like Lowes or something to get started? Thanks in advance for any help!

Perhaps you should start with a book.....

"The Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian will get you going in the right direction.

Then visit Www.midwestsupplies. or a local homebrew shop.

That is very true and a point missed. Checking out local brew stores is a great way to start, some offer beginners brewing classes( that's how I got my start). Another book to take a look at is "How to brew" by Jon Palmer. Between the class I took and that book I have not brewed a bad batch yet. (I am probably about due for one though)

Are you looking to test the waters and do extract beers or are you looking to jump on with both feet and do all grain? This will affect what you need to buy.

I really dislike bitter beers so i guess whichever one will allow me to make the less bitter beer easier.

I'm reading the John Palmer book right now.

There are tons of kits from lots of reputable vendors out there. It all depends on what you want to do and how much you're willing to take on at first.

I'm a pretty darn new brewer myself, but a lot will depend on how much space you have, what size batches you want to start with, etc., etc..

My suggestion is to read around this forum and you'll find lots of posts from people with lots of different set-ups with varying cost/space requirements as well as different complexities in the brewing process itself. Once you have an idea what direction you want to go, the equipment list will become far more clear to you -- and by reading you'll have picked up some great tips for that first batch!

What works for me might not work for you, but I brew 5 gallon batches and bottle (or bottle in those little 5 liter kegs I recycle), so my set-up includes.

A fermenting bucket with lid (food grade plastic).
A bottling bucket with spigot (also food grade plastic).
An airlock.
Some tubing.
A bottle wand.
A bottle brush.
Sanitizer! (I use StarSan, but others work)
A bottle capper
Bottle caps
Bottles
A thermometer (I actually have two, one's the floating variety, but the other is a digital one that I originally purchased to measure the core temp of steaks on my grill)
A hydrometer with (I forget the name of the thing) a cylinder to hold the liquid I'm using the hydrometer to measure.

Thinking...

Oh, and a 20 quart stock pot!
And a nice, long-handled spoon to stir.

There are a lot of kits out there with most of these things in them geared toward the beginning brewer looking to brew 5 gallon extract batches, with or without steeping grains, which is where I am at the moment.

Additional more recent splurges include:

A 5.1 cubic foot chest freezer and an temperature controller so that I can ferment my brews at whatever temperature I choose despite the upcoming warm California weather.

Again, what works for me might not be the best option for you.

Cheers!

You can brew just about any type of beer with both methods. The only real difference is with extract you buy either powder or liquid extract and all grain you make the extracts yourself with the raw grains. Extract is far easier ( and faster) is you are just starting out.

If you're lucky enough to have a local home brewing store the ones I've went to are full of people willing to help and give plenty of advice. I started recently with extract and will be working on my 4th batch soon.

Good luck. Best thing is you can make exactly what you want and drink lots of it.

I started with the Papazian book, but it's a little outdated these days. From what I've seen of it, Palmer's book seems a bit clearer and more beginner-friendly.

I'll echo afalapo and recommend starting with extract. The equipment requirements are lower, it's easier when you're starting out, and everything you learn and use with extract will also apply to all-grain or brew-in-a-bag. The brewing method isn't a significant factor in bitterness; that has more to do with your recipe. From what you said you were looking to brew, this might be a good kit to start with: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cherry-wheat.html

Good luck! It's a great hobby.

I understand a reluctance to buy a kit but by the time you assemble everything needed you have already spent more than a kit. Midwest Supplies will steer you right. A beginner kit and a stainless turkey fryer are the most economical way. Also extract is a good way to get started.

I'll have to agree with vineyardbmw, you are better off just buying a kit. Any friends of mine that have asked me for advice with starting to brew, I've always recommended kits because it'll provide everything you need and it's more economical. Also if you continue with the hobby, which is what will hopefully happen, you'll be able to use the same setup for a long time. I also agree with extract, just keep it simple and delicious beer will follow.

Happy brewing.

I'd say get a beginners kit or do plenty of research here and other places to assemble your own equip list. I got most of my starting equipment for Xmas a while back, but I bought carboys to ferment in. Again, your best bet is to just get a starter kit online or from a LHBS.

There have been a couple of book recommendations, which I also think would be a good start. An earlier edition of John Palmer's How to Brew is available on the web for free at http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html. I understand there have been some changes in understanding on some of the finer points since this edition came out, but it would definitely get you started. It will also give you a good idea of the equipment requirements, so you can decide whether to source all the parts individually or just buy an equipment kit.

As far as beer styles, if you post a few commercial beers you like, I expect someone here could steer you toward a recipe or ingredient kit that will be close.

You could get things a piece at a time here & there,but you could nickle & dime yourself inot spending more that the $65 basic brewing kit at Midwest. It also has options you can add the to the basic kit. I bought a starter kir from Cooper's when they still had the micro bre kit. Shoulda got the midwest one. Def cheaper.
I then found a set of 4 nested polished stainless steel stock pots with lids & steamer trays on sale at Giant Eagle for some $25! Still using them now.
Add some starsan & PBW,both by Fivestar Chemical sold at many brew supply places.

If you're looking to be really frugal you can hit up some yard sales and such to find some cheap stainless pots. Also, check craigslist daily for homebrew supplies. I check my area a few times a week and also the surrounding cities: Charleston, Charlotte, Augusta, etc..... I landed a pin lock corny keg the other day for $30. There are ways to be cheap and save money with this hobby, but it is much more fun to spend and try to perfect your craft rather than "just making beer".

Back