Utopias 2011 released

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGuyRyan

Reaction score
just a heads up for anyone interested Utopias is already at some stores. They pushed up the release for this batch to May but some stores already have them or what is left!

88417e23.jpg

Right on Hammy. I suppose I would do the same, if offered. But definitely would not pay for it. 80% of the brewers on this forum could likely brew as good a beer, so forgive me if I'm not overly excited. lol.

Jesus! That's a lot of money for a beer. Don't get me wrong. The idea that a yeast can work with that much alcohol really makes me wanna try it, but it can't be that much more enjoyable than my own beer. Intrigued to see if it keeps some beer characteristics. Shame you can't find it sold as a shot somewhere.

Jesus! That's a lot of money for a beer. Don't get me wrong. The idea that a yeast can work with that much alcohol really makes me wanna try it, but it can't be that much more enjoyable than my own beer. Intrigued to see if it keeps some beer characteristics. Shame you can't find it sold as a shot somewhere.

I know a few people who have found it at bars in IL but at $25 a pour. Yes it is a **** load of money but you really don’t need more than 2-3oz at a time which would come out to $16-24 and I paid that for many beers. So you could take all year sipping on this.

I unfortunately already blew through half a bottle but I also gave a few shots to friends after Dark Lord Day. If you haven’t tried it then yes it seems crazy for the price but once you try it you will understand. And I heard today that the few store that got their bottles in today are selling them for $199. Seems like all the stores got less than the usually do this time around. Makes me wonder if Sam Adams is holding some back for the normal November release.

Utopias is a bit of a gimmick but that said, its an impressive beer. If they can get that much for it (and obviously they do), more power to them. Personally, I wouldn't buy a bottle. I can think of a pile of commercial beer I would rather have for 200 bucks.

I also think that any reasonably experienced brewer with a ton of time on their hands could make this beer. PTN and Yeager have made three batches:

U1 is a tremendous beer and as a large number of "beer geeks" have testified to... is better than the original. It is much more balanced. The alcohol is there but no where near as hot and it is much more drinkable. Its also a much more complex beer in a lot of subtle ways.

Of course Paul now fancies himself as one of the best brewers to ever sparge since he caught lightening in a bottle
but just ask him how U2 and U3 are doing.

Any reasonably experienced brewer with some research under their belt can make this beer.

We just got it in Texas. $260 a bottle. But Texas beer taxes are INSANE.

I won't say which, but I work for a major Texas based grocer/retailer, and at $260 we're not even making money on it (actually losing 4%).

Back