Using yeast to carbonate soda in a corney keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wanting to try carbonating my kegged sodas using yeast/sugar instead of using forced CO2 from a tank. Does anyone have experince with this and if so can you tell me:

Which type of yeast you like to use?
How much yeast do you use?
How does it take to carbonate if the keg stays at room temperature?

Thanks,

I did this recently and it turned out pretty well. I think I used about three grams of Premier Cuvee (though I normally prefer the pasteur champagne, the cuvee was all I had on hand) and it took about 48 hours in a 50-60° basement. I did have to hit it with some pressure from the CO2 tank to make sure the lid seated well, so if you're planning on carbonating with yeast because you don't have access to CO2, you may have trouble sealing depending on your keg.

no experiance with this...just keep in mind that your soda will now be ever so slightly alcoholic!!

I did this recently and it turned out pretty well. I think I used about three grams of Premier Cuvee (though I normally prefer the pasteur champagne, the cuvee was all I had on hand) and it took about 48 hours in a 50-60° basement. I did have to hit it with some pressure from the CO2 tank to make sure the lid seated well, so if you're planning on carbonating with yeast because you don't have access to CO2, you may have trouble sealing depending on your keg.

I have access to CO2 to seal the top of my keg. I don't always get good carbonation when I use forced CO2 (even at 40 psi) so i was looking for a different method to try.

Thanks for your reply.

Back