Using yeast slurry as yeast nutrient in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Rather than using a yeast nutrient (ex: Wyeast nutrient) a fellow brewer uses some of the yeast slurry from a previous batch as his yeast nutrient that he adds at the start of the boil.

Have any of you done this?
What were your results?
How much yeast did you use? (a table spoon of slurry?)
Does the yeast slurry dissolve during the boil or does most of it settle to the bottom after flame out?

(I tried searching for this but didn't find anything)

I'm not 100% sure, but I always thought that Yeast Nutrient was desiccated yeast with a little Ammonium Diphosphate in it. I bet a similar amount would solubilize as the Yeast Nutrient. A lot of that stuff is not going to be soluble period.

That's the point! The old yeast slury will die and become food for the new yeast.

Didn't mad cow come from feeding cows to cows? Are we gearing up for an outbreak of mad yeast desease?? Lol...

Mad cow disease come from prions which are proteins.
I think they would be denatured in the boil, so it's unlikely we'll get mad yeast
disease. So you are safe to drink my beer, just stop on by :mug:

Way back, before I picked up some yeast nutrient, I used to add 1 TBS. of yeast slurry late boil, for just the reason you stated. Did it help? Darned if I know, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.
Mad yeast disease= beer farts. So, we all have it. :p

Back