Using WLP300 Hefeweizen w/ Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I've got a German style wheat beer that's basically finished with primary. I want to brew my Christmas ale next. I've used the WLP400 Belgian Wit the last two years, and the second time it was pretty good, but I was thinking I could save myself the time, money, and trouble by using my current yeast cake. I don't really have time to make a starter, unless I wait another week or two for my next brewing chance. Anyone ever try that combo, or do they have a preferred yeast for Christmas beers? White Labs recommends the WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale yeast, but my LHBS doesn't have any in stock.

i dunno, those are much different flavors. are you sure you want banana in your christmas ale? the clove might be nice. if you do it, be sure to ferment LOW.

i made an experimental wit with WLP300. it wasn't very good.

Yeah, the banana flavor is exactly what made me hesitant. :ban:

I think I'll brew a weizenbock tomorrow instead. I'll just have to postpone the Christmas ale for another week. Seems like I'm always changing my brewing schedule around.

Back