Using Washed yeast on a high OG beer from a high OG beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ply318ci

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to wash and use my yeast from my American Strong Ale with a OG of 1.091 and use it in a Barleywine with a OG of 1.085, it is only a one gallon Barleywine and the yeast I am using is also from a one gallon batch. When I made the American Strong Ale I used the entire package of the dry US-05 yeast. Do I need to make a starter for the washed yeast or can I just pitch it with out one since it is only a one gallon batch. Also will I be stressing the yeast to much going from a high OG to another high OG beer, thanks.

I wouldnt reuse yeast that was originally use to ferment a strong ale. Ideally you want to wash and reuse yeast that originally fermented a normal gravity beer. However, its your beer... mrmalty.com will give the correct amount of slurry to pitch onto your new wort.

Pretty high to be re-using the yeast; if you must re-use then make a starter. You'll get beer either way but best to err on the side of caution.

Sweet thanks for the advice I will just throw it out and get new yeast that was what I needed to know. On a side note I have a half of a open package of s-04 that I sealed in a zip lock bag and put into the refrigerator a month ago would this work for my barleywine instead or would I need a new package thanks.

The yeast is fine, re-use it. It will take off better and probably be healthier than the pack of dry you are planning to use.

You can check out Mr.Malty if you want, but I don't trust it for slurry. My rule of thumb is use a quarter of the cake for a beer of similar gravity.

The issue with re-using yeast from a high gravity beer is that it is more prone to mutation. Using it for a single batch should be no problem. Continually re-using it may result in a different yeast profile than the original yeast.

Question: What constitutes high gravity in these rules of thumb?

I brewed a rye IPA last week with OG 1.074. I pitched a 1.5L active starter of Denny's Favorite (EDIT: into 3G of wort). I was hoping to wash this yeast for future beers, but is this a high gravity beer? Does the pitching of a large and healthy starter affect what constitutes a big beer?

Back