Using Two Primary Regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
Question regarding my keezer setup...I did some searching and it seems you can use two primary regulators instead of a primary and secondary, but I couldn't find much on how exactly to hook it up and any drawbacks (besides cost) that come with such a setup.

Basically I have two double gauge primaries sitting around, 1 is in use and the other just laying around collecting dust. I'd like to be able to run more then one keg at once, and having different pressures is appealing.

So how would I set this up to run 2 or more kegs using two primary regulators? And can I cheaply modify that setup to run more then 2 kegs (albeit at only 2 different pressures) at once? If it matters I'm running it off a 20lb tank.

You should be able to unscrew the CO2 hookup on the 2nd one - get a nipple (1/4" generally) - tefelon on both sides of threading and screw the two regulators together (you will need to take the 2nd high pressure gauge off of the other regulator) - then you've converted your 2 dual gauge singles to one double.

If you want to run more than one keg from each pressure you can either get a WYE right at the regulator - or more commonly you will get a manifold inside the keezer to split the line however many more times you want.

check the threads on the regulators, some are left hand thread on the primary side, so you would need a LH thread nipple to connect them.

Cool, thanks.

ETA - Just to be clear, the regulator that will attach direct to the tank will have had the high pressure gauge removed, and the other regulator will then screw into there?

When setting the pressure will the unit connected to the tank be controlling everything or the other unit? I presume the first but I dunno...

Cool, thanks.

ETA - Just to be clear, the regulator that will attach direct to the tank will have had the high pressure gauge removed, and the other regulator will then screw into there?

When setting the pressure will the unit connected to the tank be controlling everything or the other unit? I presume the first but I dunno...

It will go like this:

High pressure guage > Regulator > Nipple > Regulator > Tank connection

Your low pressure gauges will sit on top of each regulator as they are already, you dont have to take them off. These show the pressure that is going to each keg. You will set pressure on each of those regulators individually. They are both getting the same 'in' pressure from the tank. The only variable is where you set your 'out' pressure that goes to your kegs.

Back