Using two cans of Coopers Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheadie

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of doing a double coopers stout kit brew and was planing on adding some floral hops to turn it into an American Style stout. But have a few questions:

1) will it be overly bitter? I can't seem to find the IBU for a can any where, would using two cans make it twice as bitter?

2) If it is going to be more bitter I could add some Lactose to sweeten it up a little but how much too add?

3) would it still taste and feel like I stout if I changed one can to a Coopers dark ale?

4) Would it be better to just use one can of Stout and an unhopped can of dark LME?

5) Are there any steeping grains I could add too get a sweeter malty taste to take away some of the bitterness?

Kit IBU x kit weight / brew volume = pre-fermentation IBU of batch.

Cooper's OS Stout Kit IBU: 710

So for a 23 litre batch: 710 x 1.7 /23 = 52.5

Cooper's claims a 10-30% loss of bitterness during fermentation giving us a range of 36.75 - 47.25 IBUs. Mutliple the values by 2 to get a possible range of doing a toucan with 2 stout kits.

I've never done a two stout kit toucan but I did do the Stout/Dark Ale toucan (yes it is still a stout). To my taste is was pretty bitter and took a couple of months to start to smooth out. After that though it was pretty good but not what I'd consider a session beer. The flavour was still pretty strong and the ABV was ~8% (I made this up with the two kits and a kg of dextrose).

Thanks for the IBU formula that will make things a little easier for other brews as well. I dont mind bitter tasting beers but 90+ might be a little too much maybe I should add a little lactose to sweeten it up a little? I just need to know how much?

It is also going to be heavily hopped with Pacifica and Motueka at whirlpool (60 degrees) and dry hop so that will take some of the perceived bitterness away as well.

Would it work to reduce the fermentor volume to 19 liters to achieve more flavor and body without overhopped bitterness?

Would it work to reduce the fermentor volume to 19 liters to achieve more flavor and body without overhopped bitterness?

The bitterness comes from the stout can kits, there will be no added bitterness from the hopping I do as it will be after flame out and dry hopping. I may reduce to 18L so it becomes a thicker beer though.

Not sure if I exactly understand the question but: brew volume is the divisor in this equation. Everything else remaining the same reducing the brew volume will increase the bitterness (body and flavour will be increased as well).

Back