Using the outdoor hose in the winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
So I wanted to rig up my counterflow chiller today, but the temp last night was about 10. High for today is low 30s.

Am I at risk for a pipe burst if I use the outdoor spigot? I have my own hose for this process that I keep indoors, not going to leave it attached to the spigot outside when I'm done.

Should I just wait and brew later in the week? Unfortunately my yeast starter is sitting pretty in the fridge waiting for action.

Set up your hose just a bit before you need it. If it is going to be much time turn on the water so it flows slowly, this should keep it from freezing. Afterward remove the hose, close the water valve inside the house then open the spigot outside to drain the water.

It'll take very low temps for a significant period of time for pipes to burst. There should be a shut off valve inside the house. When you are ready to chill the wort, turn that valve on, hook up your hose and chill the wort. When it is done, put the hose back in the house, close the valve inside the house, but then open the spigot outside the house. This will drain any water remaining between the valve and the spigot and space for any ice forming to be pushed out without bursting the pipe.

Just don't forget. I've forgotten a few times and had to thaw the short length of outside pipe with a lighter in order to get the water flowing and was lucky my pipe didn't burst.

I have done that twice while way below freezing outside. I put the hose reel inside a day or two before I needed it so the ice that was most likely built up from the last use, could thaw (put it in a tub or such so that you don't flood your room). Towards the end of the boil I take the reel back outside and connect it to the faucet, making sure the water flows. I have about 40 feet between the porch I brew on and the faucet so the hose itself acts as a prechiller already :) Best aspect of this freezing cold if you ask me.
To sum it up: Go for it! It will be the fastest chilling you've ever had without ice :mug:

Rather than messing with running hoses and water in sub freezing temperatures, I would be very tempted to just let the wort chill in the kettle in the freezing temps. I would let it chill to 170 - 180 degrees, then lid the kettle and let it chill for 4-6 hours.

I have done a passive chill in the kettle like this with acceptable results.

Rather than messing with running hoses and water in sub freezing temperatures, I would be very tempted to just let the wort chill in the kettle in the freezing temps. I would let it chill to 170 - 180 degrees, then lid the kettle and let it chill for 4-6 hours.

I have done a passive chill in the kettle like this with acceptable results.

Sounds good when you start brewing early enough. For me that would put me in the midnight range for cleaning up. I really enjoy chilling the wort from boiling to ~66F in <15 min :ban:

Using the outside faucet will not cause your pipes to burst. in 20+ years of Michigan winters I have never shut off the water to my outside faucet and never had a problem. What could cause your pipes to burst would be shutting off the faucet somewhere inside, and leaving water trapped between that shutoff and the faucet outside. So if you use an inside shutoff be sure to drain the pipe as was suggested in an earlier post. Now if you don't use an inside shut off, it's possible that the water in the end of the pipe might be frozen. That's my situation right now. Not a big deal for me since I can just run my hose to the laundry tub in the basement.

Whats been working for my for cooling is to fill a washtub with water several hours before starting brewing, adding salt to it to help keep the ice from forming to bad, and plunging the pot into that. It really helps to go out ever so often and give it a swirl to mix it up. And if the water warms up to much I shovel some snow (no shortage of that here) into the wash tub.

If you live somewhere where freezing temps are common and your house isn't pretty old, it's likely got "freeze-proof" spigots. Instead of closing a valve immediately below the knob, there is a long (10-14" is common) rod that closes a valve inside your wall.

That said, better safe than sorry. I always close the valve inside the house as well. Good advice above to close the interior valve and re-open the spigot. Just remember that in the spring when you turn it back on. :)

Latest posts

Back