Using Sanitizer on Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnorman93638

Reaction score
My wife wants me to add Strawberries to my beer. It's been fermenting for 2 weeks and I was going to rack it to a secondary on top of the strawberries.

I've heard some people soak there fruit in vodka, others just add it without doing anything. One method is to soak it overnight in water that you added Camden tablets too. I was wondering if you could just soak them in sanitizer for a minute then add to carboy before racking the beer over it. Will this not kill any wild yeast??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've only ever used Frozen mango. Every time I just purée and add to secondary and rack on top of the fruit. Have never used Vodka or anything else,never had a problem.

I make a raspberry wheat a few times in the summer and I always just buy a can of purée and add it to the secondary.

I use fresh mango. Cut them into cubes, mix with vodka and deep freeze for about 30 days to burst the cells then into the fermenter for 7 days.

Back