Using pumpkin in the mash... Mix it all together? Cubes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noslenwerd

Reaction score
Sorry I did try searching for this answer in particular, but didn't find anything.

When you use pumpkin in your mash.. two questions

1. I read that most people "mash" the pumpkin before putting into the mash. What if you left it in cubes as to not make the sparge more of a PITA? I would roast them enough to where they are soft, but not mash them so they don't make the mash too thick.

2. Where exactly do you put the pumpkin in your mash? Do you lay the malt/grains down first, and put the pumpkin on top? Assuming you pour the water in even more slowly than you typically would?

Thanks everyone!

I have successfully made a pumpkin ale with real pumpkin every year for the last three years. Here's my method:

Slice pumpkins into quarters and roast with brown sugar

Use a potato masher to press down on the flesh to the skin

Lay slices flesh down on top of the grain

Using rice hulls in the mix, I've never had a problem

I mixed mine all together. I quartered, baked, mashed and then added honey and baked again until it started to carmelize. Mixed it up and then put in the mash. Don't forget the rice hulls. Also make sure the pumpkin is at the temp you want your mash to be before you add or your temp will be higher than expected.

I've made a couple pumpkin beers, and I hit them with a potato masher (literally takes 7 seconds) then mix it all in. Assuming you stir your mash, there's really no alternative anyway. Just use 0.75 to 1.0 lb rice hulls and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back