using old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing a batch right now and will be useing all my hops from last year. I do have two gallon bags full of hops from the year before last.
Will this old hops give me bad results with my beer? Should I (gasp)... Buy... Hops instead of using my old hops?
Thanks,

Smell them. That's a good indicator of hop freshness. If you've stored them well (especially in the freezer) they should be fine! If they've aged, maybe consider a lambic?

Also, check the aa shelf life of your particular hops

Not frozen and in a bag that was not thoroughly removed of air. I smelled them and they are actually pretty odor neutral. Not smelling like a gallon bag of hops and just not smelling like anything. Things are not looking good for my hops...

Not frozen and in a bag that was not thoroughly removed of air. I smelled them and they are actually pretty odor neutral. Not smelling like a gallon bag of hops and just not smelling like anything. Things are not looking good for my hops...

Doesn't sound good. Probably wouldn't use them for anything but lambic

Toss 'em. Or run a small batch experiment. I wouldn't risk a large batch of otherwise good brew to save a few bucks.

They're likely a faded shell of their original selves, but I'm not sure just sniffing the bag is much of a test.
Take a few and smush them thoroughly in your hands, then give that a smell...

Cheers!

Can you get good results from properly stored and sealed hops? Yes. Are fresh hops preferred? Absolutely. I just used up my 2014 crop in an IPA, and it came out fine.

Do the rub test. If they smell fine, use them. If they smell like cheese, garlic, or onion, toss them.

Back