Using OLD grolsch bottles. Can it really cause sanitaion issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_me_plz

Reaction score
I recently acquired 60 very old grolsch bottles that were not in very good condition. I think they may have been stored in a storage shed and been exposed to temperature extremes. I was told by a local well-respected BJCP judge that I should just throw them away because the integrity of the glass deteriorates over time. This can cause stress fractures and create places for bacteria hide.

From what I've read on the forums here I shouldn't have any problems. I gave them a good soaking in bleach and I plan on baking them to completely sterilize them. Has anybody else heard of this? And do you think they're safe to use?

What he told you is true....but not guaranteed. As a packaging engineer, I can confirm that a scratched bottle will loose up to 40% of its strength. Even scuffing on the shoulder or the heel from bumping into other bottles can weaken a bottle's integrity. It seems reasonable to expect bacteria to hide inside a scratch on the inside of a bottle. But how could a scratch like that occur? Where were these bottles stored? How have they been used in the last 50 years? It is near impossible for glass to magically degrade just from sitting on a shelf for a few decades. Temperature should only have an impact if it is a fast (within seconds) swing from near boiling to near freezing.

Give them a good inspection looking for scratches or chips. Change out the seals before you use them too. Otherwise, you should be fine. That's my best guess.

Those where my thoughts too. They look brand new when they are cleaned. And I don't see how there could be any scratches on the inside either. Plus They are heavier duty than the traditional long necks. I think they'll be fine with se new seals.

Back