Using millet ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Hoping folk on this section may be able to help me. I am planning on brewing a version of an Ethiopian beer called T'alle. The beer usually includes barley and wheat and also millet. Does anyone know if I must malt the millet to extract the sugars or could gelatinizing the starch and adding the cooked millet to other malted grains with diastatic power enable me to extract the sugars from the millet.
If not, I have an enzyme called AG300 If I simply boil the millet and add this after fermentation of the other grains has started will this enable the yeast to work on the sugars in the millet? Thanks

If you are using malted barley and malted wheat, you should be fine with either malted or unmalted millet. Boil the millet first and add to the main mash like you would other strachy adjuncts.

If you have unmalted wheat and other adjuncts making up more than 50% of the grist, you'll probably need to add enzymes or use malted versions.

Just be sure to mill the millet separately. It's much smaller than barley, so you'll need to crank the mill down considerably.

Back