Using magnets to hold recirculation tubing in place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanMC

Double Curl Brewing
Reaction score
Hi all,

Rather than a float ball or something else to hold wort recirculation tubing in place, I've been thinking about using a pair of magnets - one affixed to the end of the tube, and the other on the outside of the kettle (since the SS in the kettle likely won't be magnetic enough). Has anyone ever used magnets in the kettle at mash temps before? Are there any magnets with coatings which are food safe and can take the temperature? Maybe a pair of stir bars?

Thanks!

True, but I've always felt uneasy about Locline. I know many people use it to great effect and with no difficulties, but I've tried hard to keep threads and other crevices out of my system, as well as unnecessary plastic. Yes... I know that this pursuit of purity or perfection with regards to fittings and the fluid path is unnecessary and even detrimental in some ways, but I'm afraid I'm one of those people with all tri-clamps and and stainless steel or silicone parts...

That said, I guess I have the same concerns about JB weld. Is it truly food grade, even in the chemical and temperature environment of a mash or boil? Also, I believe neodymium itself isn't safe to have in food, so it would need a coating - right? Or do you mean I should coat the whole thing in JB weld?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back