Using hazelnut Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnstr71

Reaction score
Hello Fellow brewers,

Happy Friday! I will be brewing a clone of Rouge's hazelnut Brown tomorrow. I am going to brew this batch for a friend that loves this style. Then bottle it (UGGGGHHH!) , and I haven't had to bottle for several years. (feel bad for me). LOL

I would like to hear if any of you have had experience using hazelnut extract. I have never used an extract and I am a bit nervous, as this is for someone else. The bottle I ordered is 4 oz.s and it says to add the bottle to 5 gallons.
Everything I have read on the web says this is a no-no.
I've read everything from 1 tsp. in the mash and 1 tsp at bottling to 1 oz. here and 1 oz. there.
It's all over the board. I guess I can start with a taster of 4 oz's and add a drop and do the math...which is a suggestion I read.
I would love to hear any experience and/or advise from anyone who has tried this style.

I can't help with using hazelnut extract, but can I suggest you change the thread title to 'using hazelnut extract' or 'using flavouring extracts', rather than 'using extract'? I was expecting it to be a question relating to use of DME or LME and I think most others would think the same. Brewers with experience with flavouring extracts are likely to skim past it.

I can't help with using hazelnut extract, but can I suggest you change the thread title to 'using hazelnut extract' or 'using flavouring extracts', rather than 'using extract'? I was expecting it to be a question relating to use of DME or LME and I think most others would think the same. Brewers with experience with flavouring extracts are likely to skim past it.
Good call. Sorry about that.

Hello Fellow brewers,

Happy Friday! I will be brewing a clone of Rouge's hazelnut Brown tomorrow. I am going to brew this batch for a friend that loves this style. Then bottle it (UGGGGHHH!) , and I haven't had to bottle for several years. (feel bad for me). LOL

I would like to hear if any of you have had experience using hazelnut extract. I have never used an extract and I am a bit nervous, as this is for someone else. The bottle I ordered is 4 oz.s and it says to add the bottle to 5 gallons.
Everything I have read on the web says this is a no-no.
I've read everything from 1 tsp. in the mash and 1 tsp at bottling to 1 oz. here and 1 oz. there.
It's all over the board. I guess I can start with a taster of 4 oz's and add a drop and do the math...which is a suggestion I read.
I would love to hear any experience and/or advise from anyone who has tried this style.
i dont know what to tell you but Rogues hazelnut brown is at the top of my list... send me some and I'll sure test it for you.

I used to make a hazelnut milk stout. My recommend is to add at bottling/kegging. For 5 gallons, I recommend:

1 tsp for a lighter flavor.
1 Tbsp for a strong flavor.

(Milk is a big no-no for me these days)

I used to make a hazelnut milk stout. My recommend is to add at bottling/kegging. For 5 gallons, I recommend:

1 tsp for a lighter flavor.
1 Tbsp for a strong flavor.

(Milk is a big no-no for me these days)
Thanks. I was going to use a tablespoon at bottling. I put a teaspoon in the mash and couldn't detect it after the boil.

I don't have much experience in extract, but the orange IPA I recently did I used sweet orange peel (1oz) last 10 minutes of the boil. I then added 2 oz of a 4 oz bottle of the extract at kegging. The bottle said an ounce per gallon, but with the combo of the peel it turned out great with minimal addition of extract. Keg lasted 3 weeks and everyone loved the flavor profile.

Be careful with the extract. I used a raspberry extract to make a raspberry wheat beer last year. I only added 1oz to five gallons and it was not very appetizing. It was a good beer with a fake raspberry flavor. Even just with one oz.

Be careful with the extract. I used a raspberry extract to make a raspberry wheat beer last year. I only added 1oz to five gallons and it was not very appetizing. It was a good beer with a fake raspberry flavor. Even just with one oz.

Raspberry is very powerful, at least to me, flavoring.

4 oz of good quality hazelnut worked fine for me.

Any recommendations re a maple syrup extract? My friend is bringing me some from Canadia to try in a beer...

Exactly why I went light with the orange. I am going to do a chocolate raspberry stout, but with cocoa nibs, a little bit of vanilla to counter the nib bitterness and raspberry puree during fermentation. Will be something to play with, but looking forward to something a bit different.

Back