Using glucose in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeMonkeyStang

Reaction score
I just picked up my first ingredient kit from my LHBS to do an extract w/ specialty grains brew. The kit included .25 quarts of adjunct on the bill, but from what I saw on the tanks the adjunct appears to be straight glucose. How do I enter this into Beersmith? Just trying to figure out everything as I go and this one threw me for a loop.

Glucose = Dextrose = Corn Sugar. Beersmith has it under corn sugar.
It also lists the potential SG as 1.046 It really should be 1.042 (which won't make any difference with a small amount).
If you are using a liquid version, then use corn syrup instead of corn sugar.

-a.

Thanks for the help ajf. I am using a liquid version, in fact the LHBS just put it right in the container with my LME. I saw both corn syrup and corn sugar listed and had used corn syrup for my recipe in BS but I wasn't sure if that was the correct SG and SRM.

Beersmith has the SG of corn syrup listed as 1.036. Does that sound about right to you? I'm only using 11oz (which should be .69 pounds) so it's not a tremendous amount but I'm trying to keep my records as accurate as possible.

:mug:

1.036 sounds reasonable, as does the 1.0 SRM. If your LHBS dispensed it, they should be able to tell you what the potential is.

-a.

Back