Using gelatin ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I heated my gelatin mixture to 172f an added to my beer. So my question is heating the gelatin to 172f will it still work to clear my beer or did I screwup the gelatin mixture see I took 3/4 cup of water an added 1tsp of gelatin an let it boom for 1hour then I put that mixture into the microwave an heated it at 10sec intervals until it was 170f to 172f.?

Hello I heated my gelatin mixture to 172f an added to my beer. So my question is heating the gelatin to 172f will it still work to clear my beer or did I screwup the gelatin mixture see I took 3/4 cup of water an added 1tsp of gelatin an let it boom for 1hour then I put that mixture into the microwave an heated it at 10sec intervals until it was 170f to 172f.?

You should be fine I went to 170 the first time I use gelatin not knowing how good my microwave was. I poured it in the keg that was in the keezer and it cleared the beer just fine. After that I have been more careful shooting for 150 to 155.

I saw that too. But, when the older information still works... ;)
The point is that the acceptable temp range for preparing gelatin is a lot wider than the older information would have us believe, and precise temp control is not required for this process. Yes, of course you can choose to operate in a narrower process window than the intrinsic window. Rehydrating gelatin is not like mashing.

Brew on :mug:

The point is that the acceptable temp range for preparing gelatin is a lot wider than the older information would have us believe, and precise temp control is not required for this process. Yes, of course you can choose to operate in a narrower process window than the intrinsic window. Rehydrating gelatin is not like mashing.

It IS necessary to heat though. Gelatin will bloom/swell at room temperature, but won't actually melt into solution until about 105F. (I know you didn't say or imply that heating wasn't necessary, but I thought I'd add this for completeness).

I bloom for a few minutes, stir, then microwave some random time.

It IS necessary to heat though. Gelatin will bloom/swell at room temperature, but won't actually melt into solution until about 105F. (I know you didn't say or imply that heating wasn't necessary, but I thought I'd add this for completeness).

I bloom for a few minutes, stir, then microwave some random time.
Good point. I was just thinking about all the times I've heard the advice "be careful not to overheat the gelatin."

Back