Using gelatin in a highly dry hopped beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgillard1976

Reaction score
Is there any worry about pulling dry hop oils out of beer if you clarify with gelatin before kegging?

I think gelatin, when used properly, will clear up beer nicely and that will make the final result, look appealing ( to most drinkers ) and sometimes, be more focused in terms of flavour. ( suspended yeast and tiny bits of hop debris can take your beer off-course when too much )

But I'm with Miraculix here: I think gelatin also pulls down some of the hop flavour. You can of course dry hop the heck of a beer and then add gelatin, and that will probably work fine. My own experience - limited and maybe poor in terms of science - tells me that a combination of kettle finnings and a soft cold crash, can do wonders. But you are kegging, and kegs are usually kept cold, which means you are also cold crashing at the same time, and on its own will clear beer. The first pour will probably be cloudier though...

Back