Using gas stove fuel line in mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tominator

Reaction score
Hey all. i tried to find info on this and i apologize if this has beaten to death somewhere and i'm just not bright enough to find it :cross:

has anyone tried to use a stainless steel fuel line as a mash tun manifold? they're available as 4' or 5' lengths, 1/2" OD, MIP fittings attached. here is a link to one that is similar to what i'm talkiing about:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL&prop17=02249694000

(if the link doesn't work for some reason, go to sears.com and search for item #02249694000)

my thought was to notch it just like the general copper manifold designs, looping it into an "O" and connecting with a "T" to the output. they're flexible like SS braid but won't collapse under pressure. anyone know if they're coated inside/outside with something funky or if they're suitable for this purpose? i have easy access to them and thought i might have stumbled onto something interesting :eek:

thanks for reading!

Tom
:mug:

I'm not sure an O is necessary. I used a very short (6"?) fat braided hot water heater line for my mash tun, and that worked fine, but it got beat up by my careless mash paddling.

I use a kettle screen like this now. http://homebrewery.com/images/5012_Kettlescreen.jpg

It takes a little longer and a little more vorlaufing to get the mash to set and run clear, but it works fine.

I used a very short (6"?) fat braided hot water heater line for my mash tun, and that worked fine, but it got beat up by my careless mash paddling.

If you managed to beat up hot water heater braid with a paddle, perhaps try out for the olympic canoe team. To the OP, copper tubing could also be used, but just my opinion to try a water heater braid.

The braid was pretty easy to crimp when I was stirring the very bottom of the mash. It got crimped a few times, and came undone from bulkhead, which was a giant PITA, so I found another option. The kettle screen is a lot more rigid and has held up well so far.

Back