using frozen wet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Reaction score
Hello, this weekend I'm gonna brew with a mystery hop I have. They were picked fresh and frozen within a week. I did some research and it seems I can just throw the hops in frozen and it will be the same as using fresh.

My research says:
-use 5x the amount of wet hops you would dry
-using frozen wet hops is usually fine. A lot of issues brewers experience is due to the hop being picked at the wrong time

Is there anything else I need to be aware of? As there is little information online about this specific situation I'm not keen on just trusting one or 2 sources. Does the above sound correct?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry if this is too late, but you are pretty much right.

Wet hops weigh about 5xs more than commercially dried hops. But I would still add more since many homegrowers pick them early, or may sure there are some other hops to help with the bittering.

They won't be quite as good as fresh, but close.

Awesome, glad I found this thread. I'm brewing a 3 gal wet hop pale ale soon and I'm wondering if I need to do anything special trasferring wort from kettle to fermentor. Are the wet hops a problem during transfer? I usually do partial boil due to 5 gal pot limitation, topping up to 6 gal in the fermentor (this batch is 3 gal due to having only 6oz wet centennial). I usually just pour the wort through a strainer on its way to the bucket. Will I need to syphon instead this time due to hop petalage?

Ok, the "hop petalage" damned near caused seven square feet of monitors to be coated with stout :D

They'll be no different than whole (once dried) cones in the boil.
Be prepared accordingly...

Cheers!
4980817791_39b1af42d2.jpg

I instantly thought of you DT.

Just noticed this has more replies...

My kettle has a hop filter on it which stops any flowers or petals jamming the tap. I read to use 5X more in the brew, which I did, but otherwise nothing else.

I made this brew a couple of days or so after posting the first post and due to winter now settling in it's still fermenting in my garage, so I can't say how it tastes yet :(.

I really like the idea of wet hops and I'll see how it goes. I've bought a Cascade and Saaz plant which I'm looking forward to!

Let me know how yours turns out.

I haven't done mine yet, but i plan to this weekend. I won't be fermenting in the garage though unless i want a 3 gallon ice cube! Its been unseasonally cold here the last few weeks.

I haven't done mine yet, but i plan to this weekend. I won't be fermenting in the garage though unless i want a 3 gallon ice cube! Its been unseasonally cold here the last few weeks.

:off: Excuse me, but you're in the frozen wasteland of Alberta. What do you consider "Unseanally cold"? :D :off:

In NW London it's cold, but mildly cold. Enough for everyone to complain about in the kitchen at work yet can happily walk about in kind of cold. I'm sure we'll receive our inch of snow in a month or two.

Anyway, I tried the beer and it came out great! Tastes like a mix of Duvel and Hogarden, no negative flavours which others have mentioned when using wet hops.

Back