Using fresh fruit in melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choosybeggar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With a bourgeoning raspberry season in the PacNW, I'm determined to try a raspberry melomel. Planning to follow the recipe in this month's zymurgy substituting 8 lbs of fresh or fresh frozen berries for commercial purée. Is freezing enough to reduce contaminants? Do I need campden tabs? How many for what volume?

I've used fresh pressed cider without any treatment with good results; I've also used frozen cherries directly into primary and secondary also with good results. I do think freezing is a good idea, as it breaks open the fruit a bit and I think helps release the juice. If I were going to be using raspberries, I'd put it in a nylon sack to contain the seeds and pulp mess...

8lb in how many gallons total? Red or black raspberries? Freezing only kills the insects, not the bacteria/mold etc. 1 camden for each gallon is the usual dose. Our black raspberries here in WV just started to ripen, its going to be a good year for berries. After you freeze your berries then thaw them out smash them a little with a bottle or potatoe smasher, add some pectinase and let set for about 12 hrs then add your camden, honey and nutrients. You can do exactly the same with fresh berries. Depending on your total volume you might to add more berries than just 8 pounds. If you are only making a gallon 8 pounds might be a little high in acid, if you are making 2 gallons then 8 pounds is about right if you want a good raspberry taste. WVMJ

With a bourgeoning raspberry season in the PacNW, I'm determined to try a raspberry melomel. Planning to follow the recipe in this month's zymurgy substituting 8 lbs of fresh or fresh frozen berries for commercial purée. Is freezing enough to reduce contaminants? Do I need campden tabs? How many for what volume?

Thanks. I've read about using a mesh bag to corral debris in a few different threads. Is it very difficult to rack off the top of the fruit debris? Does it not settle to the bottom well?

Does it not settle to the bottom well?

I have a blackberry mead with whole blackberries that has been sitting for about 5 weeks now and the blackberries haven't sunk yet. I think generally it takes a few months for the fruit to sink.

I have a blackberry mead with whole blackberries that has been sitting for about 5 weeks now and the blackberries haven't sunk yet. I think generally it takes a few months for the fruit to sink.

5 weeks in primary or secondary container? Um, as long as there is dissolved CO2 the bulk of your berries will float in an airlocked carboy. But, I find that most summer berries give up their ghost within 10 days & it is time to remove them. I know people leave some fruits in secondary container for weeks to months.

Thanks. I've read about using a mesh bag to corral debris in a few different threads. Is it very difficult to rack off the top of the fruit debris? Does it not settle to the bottom well?

You can use panty hose too. Fill the legs with frozen berries. Paint straining bags, etc. If you are not an experienced 'racker', I would recommend containing the fruit some way. Seeds, pulp pieces, etc...will make you say choice words.

I plan on adding raspberries to some traditional mead that i have in secondary. Should I add pectinase before I add the fruit or with the fruit or does it matter.

I plan on adding raspberries to some traditional mead that i have in secondary. Should I add pectinase before I add the fruit or with the fruit or does it matter.
Doesn't matter but when there's alcohol present you'd routinely use double the recommended doseage of just fruit or juice i.e. 2 tsp per gallon instead or 1 etc.......

Thanks for the advice. The article in Zymurgy uses 20 lbs honey, 8 lbs fruit purée, 2.6 gal water, 2-3 pkg L71B yeast, and 3 tsp of a mix of Fermaid K and Go-Ferm (added in 4 equal portions during the fermentation). Ferment temp is 62.

Im planning to freeze and squish the berries, add pectinase, campden tabs, enclose the mess in a paint strainer bag, add the honey, water, rehydrated yeast and away we go. I plan to do the primary in a bucket to expedite fruit addition. Any suggestions or changes? Do these fermentations go ballistic? Should I use a blow off?

Doesn't matter but when there's alcohol present you'd routinely use double the recommended doseage of just fruit or juice i.e. 2 tsp per gallon instead or 1 etc.......

I have just been reading up on pectinase. I racked three gallons of finished traditional mead onto 8 lb of frozen and then crushed raspberries a month ago. What will be the effects of not having used any pectinase? Would there be any advantage of adding some now?

I planned in letting it just sit on the fruit (it was 14% alcohol when I racked it onto the fruit) for three or 4 months and bulk age before bottling. Will this be a problem?

It sure looks pretty right now.

Omitting pectinase may inhibit clearing. On the other hand it may not. Pectinase may be added before adding your mead or after. You will need to add more enzyme if you wait until after, however. In other words, I think you're good.

Latest posts

Back