Using Flaked Rice Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonkster

Reaction score
This will be my third all grain brew, first time using flaked rice. My LHBS, was out of flaked corn, so I got the flaked rice instead. The recipe calls for 4 pounds of it along with 4 pounds of 2 & 6 row. I'll be mashing in a 5 gallon cooler with a false bottom that I got from AIH. My question is, will I need to add rice hulls to my mash because of the flaked rice? Would like to brew this recipe tomorrow, so any one with experience with flaked rice, any help will be great!!! Thanks in advance!!

The short answer...YES. Who knows, you may get lucky and make it through, but IMO not worth the risk. A stuck sparge SUCKS! I add hulls to absolutely anything that doesn't come with it's own.

501irishred said:
The short answer...YES. Who knows, you may get lucky and make it through, but IMO not worth the risk. A stuck sparge SUCKS! I add hulls to absolutely anything that doesn't come with it's own.

Thanks for the help!!! How much of the hulls do I use?

Thanks for the help!!! How much of the hulls do I use?

A handful or two in the grains, and I like to add a handful to the bottom of the tun to line the top of the false bottom. I don't know if it really makes a difference but I do it every time I use my double-bucket lauter tun. Never had a stuck sparge when I've used that method, but then again if you use rice hulls at all, you will be safe

A handful or two in the grains, and I like to add a handful to the bottom of the tun to line the top of the false bottom. I don't know if it really makes a difference but I do it every time I use my double-bucket lauter tun. Never had a stuck sparge when I've used that method, but then again if you use rice hulls at all, you will be safe

+1. For four pounds I'd make it two or three "good" hand fulls. Keep in mind you will either need to use the hulls in your temp and volume calculations , or pre-soak them in hot water before adding.

Using Rice, Wheat, or Corn? = Rice Hulls. Add how much you thing you'll need, then add another hand full for Shizingiggles. They are relatively cheap, and like stated above.....awesome insurance against a stuck sparge.

Back