Using Bru'n Water Profiles in BeerSmith's Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying my best to hop onto the Bru'n Water train. I have been using Beersmith's water adjustment tool for quite some time. I am used to it and would like to keep using it. I have Bru'n Water's excel sheet and I am now going to use Bru'n Water's mineral profiles inside Beersmith's software. Immedeatly, I found that they greatly differ in what mineral content is acceptable for a certain SRM or what sulfate:chloride ratio makes it bitter, balanced, or malty. For example, Bru'n water's Amber full profile input in to Beersmith accounts for a balanced beer and good for an SRM up to 9 according to beersmith, but in Bru'n water this profile is good for an SRM up to 17 and is made for a full, malty beer.

I guess my actual question is, has everyone been using Bru'n waters water profiles related to color and full, balanced, dry aspects with great success?? Thanks.

I'm not convinced that specific water profiles are all they are cracked up to be. The main thing is to regulate the alkalinity in order to mash at an appropriate pH. After that, providing sufficient calcium for the promotion of the enzymatic action of efficient starch to sugar conversion, and providing for the styles appropriate chloride to sulfate ion ratio are about all that seem to really matter. Decades of being taught that matching water profiles from various brewing regions is a requisite to good brewing for a given style all seems now to have been misguided and more likely outright incorrect information. And the more recent "generic" style profiles seem to be there mainly to placate a perceived need that decades of bad learning about mineral profiles has deeply ingrained into all of us.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have come to the stage where after 4 years of brewing I want to start improving my process by treating my water.

I get the fact that the predetermined water profiles in Beersmith might not be perfect but at first glance it looks to be easy to use and has a nice user interface.
If I enter a tried and tested target profile for a certain style and use the tool to calculate the necessary adjustments to my source water is the tool actually any good?

Or is the extra time needed to understand and use Bru'n Water worth the investment?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have come to the stage where after 4 years of brewing I want to start improving my process by treating my water.

I get the fact that the predetermined water profiles in Beersmith might not be perfect but at first glance it looks to be easy to use and has a nice user interface.
If I enter a tried and tested target profile for a certain style and use the tool to calculate the necessary adjustments to my source water is the tool actually any good?

Or is the extra time needed to understand and use Bru'n Water worth the investment?

I use both. The lactic acid additions in Beersmith are way too high. I've had good luck with the rest of it, but do double check against Bru'n Water

Latest posts

Back