Using BRETTANOMYCES and cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly_goat

Hop Head
Reaction score
I'd like to start playing with Bret. I'm worried it's gonna get into everything. Am I being overly paranoid?

Yes, you are. Clean, isolate and sanitize before and after (just like you should with any brew recipe or yeast). Surfaces, tools, funnels, fermenters, etc. Just use common sense.

You can also spray some Lysol (or similar) on and around your work area if it makes you feel better. It is a bacteria killer. Beyond the brett, what wild yeast or bacteria has been floating around your brewing area? How would you protect your brews from infection brought in by a common house fly or airborne spores? Simple good hygiene practices will suffice.

I've been left with the impression in the past that It will imbed itself in hoses and such.

I ferment in stainless. I'm worried about the O-rings, silicon gaskets and transfer hose. They will all get a hot PBW wash. I just don't want to end up with a reoccuring thing going on after.

I use stainless conicals for clean and sour beers. A good hot PBW wash, rinse and then a star San sani cycle has served me well for several years.

I do recommend you break everything down and not just rely on a cip process. I prefer to swap out gaskets on tri clamp fittings, especially if I brew something that will be bottled or lagered ie anything that will hang around for a while.

When you say swap out do you mean a seperate set for Brett?

I was thinking CIP 30 minutes with PBW at 2oz to 3 gallons. Flip the coil around after 15. I just got my spray ball today so this will be first test run. Then if I've used Brett or etc, boil the silicone gaskets and butter fly valves for 5 minutes. Have to ask SS if the rubber gaskets are boil safe. I transfer to keg with a trip clamp to ball lock fitting. I have a half inch barb though, could transfer with that and silicon then just boil the hose and barb after as well. Maybe I should just get a flame thrower.

IMG_20180506_110428.jpg

I don’t flip the coils on my ss conical. Never have and I doubt I ever will. To much of a hassle for me.

Yes I swap clean beer gaskets out for brett/sour beers. They are cheep insurance.

I clean at 20 min at 160 degrees at PBW’s suggested ratio then I rinse with 160 water then I use sani clean at room temp for 10 min.

Latest posts

Back