Using an old wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hey folks, lastnight i got up to no good and threw an old bag of grape concentrate from an old wine kit in a 5 gallon glass fermenter.

I didn't bother putting in the Benoite that was asked for.

My question is can i just ferment this out in the pimary until finished and bottle/pasteurize?

Why would you pasteurize wine?
Ferment it out then transfer to secondary, let it clear, maybe add some K-meta and bottle.
If you are going to pasteurize because you are afraid the must might be contaminated, do that before you ferment, or just add some campden tabs and wait 24 hour to pitch your yeast.

Why would you pasteurize wine?
Ferment it out then transfer to secondary, let it clear, maybe add some K-meta and bottle.
If you are going to pasteurize because you are afraid the must might be contaminated, do that before you ferment, or just add some campden tabs and wait 24 hour to pitch your yeast.

I have no experience wiith wine, i was actually going to throw it out lastnight but i said what the heck.

I was just worried about bottle bombs. Has anyone ever primary only wine? I don't have an extra carboy unfortunately.

Thanks, for the reply.

Edit: I do have 5 corny kegs however, i done some reading. What are people's thoughts of racking the wine in a corny in a week or 2 for longterm storage? 2+ months

I have, out of necessity, racked to a bucket, cleaned my carboy, then racked back into it for clearing.
As long as you finish out the fermentation,bottle bombs will not be an issue.

Hey folks, lastnight i got up to no good and threw an old bag of grape concentrate from an old wine kit in a 5 gallon glass fermenter.

I didn't bother putting in the Benoite that was asked for.

My question is can i just ferment this out in the pimary until finished and bottle/pasteurize?

Bentonite is used in wine for clearing but since it was a kit shouldn't have any problems clearing may take a lil longer and no that would be to soon bottling. It really needs to be racked off the gross lees then transfer to a clean, sanitized carboy visit winemakingtalk.com You will be assisted with very friendly helpful people! This is the sister site to homebrewtalk

And check the expiration dates on the kmeta and sorbate to make sure their still good if not just replace them

Can i rack this is a keg in a month or so? I don't have any co2 right now though and no idea when i'll be able to get it - its a long trip.

Should i stablize or just let it carb up. I don't really care i just like to store it for however long i want.

btw i don't have a corker :)

Back