Using a starter twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave8274

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing a couple of recipes this week with the same yeast, one required a 1L starter and the other required a 2L.

I was planning on making the smaller beer 1st, so I made a 2L starter, planning to brew the 1st batch tomorrow, pitch half the yeast, and then add another liter of wort to step it back up to 2L for the weekend brew.

As it turns out, my plans changed and I am not going to need 2 1L starters instead.

Should I pitch half the yeast, cover the flask and put it back in the fridge and just pitch the rest a few days later, or should I still step it up and get it fermenting again before cold crashing again? I'm just worried that after decanting for the 1st batch, there won't be enough fluid left in the flask for a few more days of cold crashing.

Swirl your 2 liter starter thoroughly. Pitch one-half of the total volume, one liter. What you will have left is the equivalent of a freshly made one liter starter. Refrigerate this one liter starter and the yeast will settle to the bottom leaving your clear wort at the top.
If you will not use this one liter starter soon, replace the starter wort with boiled and cooled water.

Happy brewing.

Latest posts

Back