Using a hop spider, or filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
I’m just a newbie but I bought and used a hop spider on my last batch which was an American pale ale with 3oz of hop pellets and it works pretty good at keeping the sludge out of the fermenter. I really don’t think it hurt the flavor of the beer any, it taste great but I’m curious what more experienced brewers have to say as well.

There has been some discussion on the topic, and some commenters have suggested that there is a slight decrease in hop utilization in a spider, vs. tossing the hops directly in the kettle.

I use a nylon hops bag suspended in a DIY spider, and have adjusted Beersmith to compensate for a slight loss in utilization. I have to use a little more hops, but I think using the spider is worth it, as it reduces the amount of hops sludge in the fermenter. With that slight adjustment I find that bitterness and aroma turn out well in my beers.

Check out Utah Biodiesel, as they have a 300 micron spider.

I use a hop spider and make successful hoppy beers frequently. It took me a few brew days to adjust my water volume appropriately though. I had to bump up my total volume of water to accommodate for when I pull the hop spider out of the brew kettle. Water goes with it no matter how long I try to let it drain. Cheers!

There has been some discussion on the topic, and some commenters have suggested that there is a slight decrease in hop utilization in a spider, vs. tossing the hops directly in the kettle.

I use a nylon hops bag suspended in a DIY spider, and have adjusted Beersmith to compensate for a slight loss in utilization. I have to use a little more hops, but I think using the spider is worth it, as it reduces the amount of hops sludge in the fermenter. With that slight adjustment I find that bitterness and aroma turn out well in my beers.

Check out Utah Biodiesel, as they have a 300 micron spider.

What is your adjustment? 5-10%

Numerous people, including me, have given the fancy hop canisters a thumbs down for one specific reason: The hot break and dissolved hops clog up the screen, reducing flow through the canister during the boil. Also, the hops are contained in a narrow vertical tube, rather than being allowed to float around in a larger area of boiling wort.

I definitely prefer keeping hops out of my CFC and fermenter. So after trying a variety of options, I think I prefer a spider but with a larger diameter nylon bag stretched open around the spokes of the spider, NOT hung in the center as is typically done. Witnesseth:

IMG_5744.jpg

What is your adjustment? 5-10%

It's 10%. My adjustment is completely unscientific, of course. It's just the result of some trial-and-error until the bitterness in the beer was acceptable.

There's been some back and forth over this, and I didn't find any real data online to support a particular amount of adjustment that is ideal. This would be a good idea for a Brulosophy exbeeriment. :)

BTW, here is my spider. Old pic, as I haven't used a keggle in a few years, but the spider is the same.

Edit: One thing I do during the boil is occasionally give the hops material inside the bag a stir using a long spoon. Don't know how much that helps, but hopefully it moves things around a bit more.

CAM00428.jpg

I use both a hop spider and hop taco together. Extremely clear wort, great utilization

Did you ever try the hop taco alone?

I have an original stainless steel Hop Stopper from years ago and let's just say I was unimpressed.
I could see why someone might go the "belt and suspenders" route.

fwiw, I use a 400 micron 6" x 18" SS spider (without the Hop Stopper) and believe it's no more an impediment to hop utilization than the collection of nylon mesh bags I used to use.

In fact, nylon hop bags shrink over time and the mesh can get ridiculously tight to the point I could lift a saturated bag out of the boil and it would barely trickle the wort back out. Woof. That was when I ordered the spider (plug: from stainlessbrewing.com). It won't shrink.

I usually use a PC for chilling but occasionally use an 8" diameter SS IC. The spider fits neatly inside so I can run them together if I'm doing an extended low-temperature hop stand...

Cheers!

Did you ever try the hop taco alone?

I have an original stainless steel Hop Stopper from years ago and let's just say I was unimpressed.
I could see why someone might go the "belt and suspenders" route.

fwiw, I use a 400 micron 6" x 18" SS spider (without the Hop Stopper) and believe it's no more an impediment to hop utilization than the collection of nylon mesh bags I used to use.

In fact, nylon hop bags shrink over time and the mesh can get ridiculously tight to the point I could lift a saturated bag out of the boil and it would barely trickle the wort back out. Woof. That was when I ordered the spider (plug: from stainlessbrewing.com). It won't shrink.

I usually use a PC for chilling but occasionally use an 8" diameter SS IC. The spider fits neatly inside so I can run them together if I'm doing an extended low-temperature hop stand...

Cheers!

Yes, works great with a pump and flow control. Mine is 28x28 mesh. I found that my hop spider(400 micron I think) works great to great a lot of hot break. I put it in even with no hops just to remove hot break, as the break can clog the hop taco. I will add my 60 min hop to spider when using a 60 min hop, and my 5 mins hop. Whirlpool and flame out go in commando.

I use a hop spider and make successful hoppy beers frequently. It took me a few brew days to adjust my water volume appropriately though. I had to bump up my total volume of water to accommodate for when I pull the hop spider out of the brew kettle. Water goes with it no matter how long I try to let it drain. Cheers!
I use 2 hop spiders for hoppy beers (6x14") and I leave them in when I drain through the plate chiller and into the fermenter... mine do drain completely this way as it drains slow enough not to pull the hop matter against the screen sidewalls and plug them.

Also I have a czech pilsner Ive made about 4 times now... The last time I made it I did a very thorough cleaning of my 300 micron arbor fab spider with a tiny brass brush prior to brewing and this cleared up a lot of plugged holes... the result was the last batch of beer did have more pronouned hop flavor so yeah I believe there can be a bit of utilization loss but I also made a scaulpin clone that came out great with it too soo..

Thanks for the responses. I guess it's something I don't need to waste my money on. Got to stay focused.....keezer build.

Here is a pic that might help. This was from a ipa(12 oz in BK), where all hops went into a 8x14 hop spider. None where free floating. This shows what is not being filtered by a spider and why I promote a two method filter. My hop taco is stacked with break material and fine hop dust. Using both eliminates any trub from my fermentor. I should note, I chill to 140-100 in my bk before transferring to conical(depending on time of year), so probably some cold break.

Also, I pull out my fwh/60 min hops at 10 mins, clean hop filter and add it BK. It is clogged at that point with hot break. This allows for better flow for 5 min to whirlpool hop additions.

View attachment 1509497292298.jpg

Latest posts

Back